iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Guys

I am trying to understand this certificate process

Here is a step by step of what I am doing and the issues I am facing

Step1
1. To start fresh I deleted all certificates and provisioning profiles
2. I created an app id with wild character (com.mytestapp.*) so i can build the B4ibridge
3. I used private sign key to generate the following 3 files: B4i.Keystore, B4i.p12 & certSigningRequest.csr
4. I used the .csr file in step 3 to create iOS Development certificate ios_development.cer
5. I create the provisioning profile for (com.mytestapp.*)
6. Now I have all 5 files in keys1 folder
7. Build B4I bridge ... so far no problem

Step2
I need to use a non wild app Id to test push notifications and firebase ( I know that I should use Adhoc etc,,, for firebase, but in general what if this was needed)
1. I create a new app id, for example: com.aba.app
2. I create a new folder keys2 on my local machine
3. I use the new app id and I use private sign to generate the following 3 files: B4i.Keystore, B4i.p12 & certSigningRequest.csr for the new app in the keys2 folder
4. going back to the developers console, If I click on certificates-> development, I see iOS Development greyed and (Maximum number of certificates generated) ... This is the first problem
Does anyone know why and how to workaround this issue??

Step3
I revoke the certificate I created in Step1 and repeat Step1 for com.aba.app. Now I have the B4Ibridge and the app both working ok.

Somehow the second day, b4ibridge stops working... I am not sure if this is related to Step3. I find myself repeating the above steps everyday.

Also while I was reading in the apple discussions form, someone said:
" You will use the same development certificate for all your apps development provisioning profiles", is this true? and if yes why:
1. When I try to create a development certificate I am prompted to select .csr (which i believe is related to app id/bundle)?
2. If I try copying the .csr file created in Step 1 and move it to Keys2 project, the compilation fails

Can someone please clarify what I am doing wrong in here.

Thank you

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The best configuration is:

1. A single distribution certificate.
2. A wildcard app id with the following id: *
3. Ad Hoc Provision profile based on the wildcard id.

As you also need an explicit id:
4. Explicit app id.
5. Ad Hoc provision profile based on the explicit app id.
6. Store provision profile based on the explicit app id.

You shouldn't need to touch it until the certificate expires.

Upvote 0

iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel

Thanks for your feedback, I will give that a try. But can you please clarify the following for me:

You mentioned: "A single distribution certificate."
  • When we create the certificate we usually select the .csr file which to my understanding depends on the app id (if I am not mistaken). so are you saying that the expilict id in the above should also follow the wildcard app id.
    Meaning if the wild is ( com.abc.*, then the explicit should be com.abc.something )

• Do we place all the above generated files in the same folder, and if so, how do we point the IDE to pick the proper provision profile

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
When we create the certificate we usually select the .csr file which to my understanding depends on the app id (if I am not mistaken)
The csr file is not related to the app id. You should use the same csr files for all certificates.

• Do we place all the above generated files in the same folder, and if so, how do we point the IDE to pick the proper provision profile
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/managing-multiple-certificates-provision-files.48539/

Upvote 0