Custom contact list

Dinis

Hi guys,

I'm absolutely new at this, and my experience is in PHP and Oracle, and I have never tried any .Net development or similar. Nevertheless I really would like to develop some stuff for my HTC, for WM6.

After reading some of the examples, and successfully finishing the first tutorial, my goal was to build a custom contact list. I was incredibly pleased to see that the following example was available:

'Contact is a Contact object and ContactsCollection is a PimCollection object.
Sub Globals

End Sub

Sub App_Start
Form1.Show
Contact.New1
ContactsCollection.New1("Contacts")
ContactsCollection.SortItems("FirstName",false) 'sorts the contacts using the first name field.
For i = 0 to ContactsCollection.Count - 1
Contact.Value = ContactsCollection.GetItem(i)
ListBox1.Add(Contact.FirstName & " " & Contact.LastName) 'Add the contact's first and last name to ListBox1.
Next
End Sub

The problem is that a simple copy and paste doesn't work. I get loads of errors and it doesn't allow me to run it.

I would like to know what should I do do make it run. It seems a very good start for what I need.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Dinis

Dinis

Hi Erel,

Many thanks for your reply! :)

I've downloaded the example, loaded the dll files into Basic4PPC under Tools->Components, ran the script, and I can't see my Outlook contacts.
All I get is the form displayed with an empty list...

I must be doing something wrong. What else do I need to do?

Once again, thank you for your help,

Dinis

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The Outlook DLL is meant ONLY for the DEVICE, the desktop dll is a dummy to alow the development of an outlook based aplication...
So to try it you must either run it on an emulator, or directly on the device..

Dinis

Hi Paulo,

what emulator do you suggest?
I really would like to get this thing running.

Cheers,

Dinis

Dinis

Cheers Paulo, I have downloaded the WM6 emulator from Microsoft.
I have opened another thread in the forum because I'm having problems seeing the virtual machines.
I'll come back to this entry as soon as I have news.

Thanks for your help.

Dinis

Dinis

Ok, now I have an emulator running WM6 and it's connected via ActiveSync 4.5.

How can I put the code gently supplied by Erel running in the emulator?
I assume I have to compile the code and then put the cab to run in the mobile.
If that is the case, my version doesn't allow me to compile anything. I'm using the desktop version.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try "instaling" the device version of b4ppc, and copy your code to a foder in the emulator, and run the device IDE, load your code, and run it...

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can set the emulator storage card to one of your folders.
Download the device IDE (cab file) from this page: Basic4ppc - Windows Mobile programming and Pocket PC Development
Copy it to the same folder you set as the storage card folder.
Install it from the emulator.
You can also copy dll files and source code to this folder and use it from the emulator.