Android Question Data on Phone & Tablet

peggjones

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a neat solution to the following:

I have the same database on a phone and on a tablet.

I want to maintain the database on both.

Every so often I will synchronise them

But I only want one of them to be enabled at any one time, to avoid duplication and overwritting.

I am thinking of sending an Email to myself indicating that the device is the "active" one then accessing the email with code and using this to set a flag.

I would be so grateful to anyone who could come up with a better solution.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Host your Database on a Server/VPS and setup jRDC2 on it to communicate from all devices with jRDC2.

Upvote 0

peggjones

Licensed User
Longtime User
Host your Database on a Server/VPS and setup jRDC2 on it to communicate from all devices with jRDC2.
Thanks but doing that is beyond my capabilities. I suppose what I'm looking for is any easy way to send data (as little as 1 byte would do) from one device to another. This is only for my personal use and would only involve two devices.

Upvote 0

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to maintain the database on both.

I do this a lot, both for my private apps and for ones that I have published. I use FTP. FTP is almost as simple to use as writing a file to a folder - you hardly know that you are using the internet. True, you need some web-space, but there are places where you can get a couple of hundred megabytes of free space in 30 seconds - try here. I would save the whole database so that you can download the latest version everytime you open your app

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I never use MQTT but I think it is a solution.

Upvote 0