Android Question data usage analysis

Tomas Petrus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,
is there any way how to measure and analyze data usage of an app.
I need to find what is the purpose of huge data usage of our app.

I checked ajax refreshing webview and that seems fine.. and it seems that it is doing the application itself webviu consume 1,8MB per hour whole aplication 10times more 18MB / hour that is a lot...

an app is relatively simple tha main part of it is fused location provider thats tracks gps
with this configuration
B4X:
LocationRequest1.SetInterval(10000)  
LocationRequest1.SetFastestInterval(5000)

any idea ? its the GPS ??
thanks

Tomas Petrus

Licensed User
Longtime User
no.
however there is inicialized map object (not visible), for map autocomplete to work, we are not using google but local map service. and it have to be done like this.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Tomas Petrus

Licensed User
Longtime User
we are not using google map we are using local provider mapy.cz .. google have busted us .. they said that if we want to uses google maps for vehicle tracking purposes (and we do because it is taxi app) that their pricelist is starting from 20 000€ or 40 000€ / yearly. or something like that so...

By map autocomplete I mean that for example when the driver of taxi get order without end point he can fill it when he pickup the customer and ask him "where are we going" ? for this we use autocomplete that suggest you the adresses... and then geocode them to coordinates for navigation etc. navigation is done by external app.

mapy.cz doesnt have any great API with tons of function but it is working and know local areas better..and it is much more cheaper. But the implementation have to be done by JS, there is no other way yet.

Explained ? : )

Upvote 0

Tomas Petrus

Licensed User
Longtime User
well if I run just the webview in browser console and measure the data usage, I do not get so high numbers as stated in first post.

I have lot of different theories, but no tool to prove them.... so my questions is still the same. Is there any tool to help me to measure and analyze hidden data eaters in my app? Or do I really have to try to shoot them blindfolded ?

Upvote 0

Jeffrey Cameron

Licensed User
Longtime User
If it's that critical, I would create a class to encapsulate all of the network access and route everything through that class. That class could be responsible for logging and monitoring the calls to all network resources. Since I don't know the exact nature of how your app is organized, this may be impractical without a re-write.

Upvote 0