Android Question Developing a Turn-based Multiplayer Game in Android

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
implement:
Developing a Turn-based Multiplayer Game in Android
(it contains links to other pages and comes from other links!)

using Google's services seems to be a very difficult task.

Furthermore, the useful and editable examples are written in Java, of course, not in B4A.

So, I suppose that develop the whole architecture with B4J servers, as I'm starting to do, is a Herculean task.

Does anyone have a gun? Shot me would be an easier and faster solution!!! :confused:

[meanwhile, Erel is swimming somewhere :D]

What solution would you recommend?

a) groped to understand those specific Google services;
b) develop all on a B4J server (this solution will also have the need to be then transferred on some hosting service);
c) buy a gun.

Sorry, this post would be better in CHIT CHAT Forum

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can't you do this with just some programming in PHP/ASP ?

When someone enters your game add him to a table and give him a game session (if there are no game sessions already otherwise it's step 2)
When someone else enter add him to a game session where only one user is linked to (select count will do the trick)
then at each turn you update another table with game session id and some extra info for the turns.

poll a game status page every second or so to exchange turn data or game status info (time/game over ...).

sockets might be easier for this, but harder to code.

The B4J server thing you mentioned will require you to have your own VPS server which is a higher cost than some cheap/free hosting solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can't you do this with just some programming in PHP/ASP ?

When someone enters your game add him to a table and give him a game session (if there are no game sessions already otherwise it's step 2)
When someone else enter add him to a game session where only one user is linked to (select count will do the trick)
then at each turn you update another table with game session id and some extra info for the turns.

poll a game status page every second or so to exchange turn data or game status info (time/game over ...).

sockets might be easier for this, but harder to code.

The B4J server thing you mentioned will require you to have your own VPS server which is a higher cost than some cheap/free hosting solution.

I was hoping to be able to exploit the knowledge of B4A-B4J.

For the moment, and as far as I know, the B4J server does not support PHP.

ASP (ASP.Net) I could use IIS.

I'm really confused.

Anyway, I'll try to figure out if your answer will help me.

Many thanks, sorex.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
give it a try I'd say.

I just checked the b4j server guess number example and it's not working different (front end) than what it would be with another solution.

A long as you don't expect thousands of players a simple php/asp thingy will do just fine and you don't need that google stuff.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know if my theory makes sense or not ;)

Upvote 0

Mark Thorndyke

Licensed User
Longtime User
Has anyone had any luck with this and will be looking into over the next week myself.
Had originally written some stuff years ago for a Flash project but now moving over to Android and iPhone.
If anything I'll start down the alternative method as mentioned with php/mysql/ajax as have some code I'd previously written and can adapt. Have had success with b4a with php and such in tests and from experience sure I can get a decent sound method working. Might also toy with Push notifications

Ideal world, I'd like to use Google services but I'm going to learn to walk first...

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
See this library. I dont know what can be done with it but it uses the google play services and turn based multiplayer seems to be supperted.

Upvote 0