device serial/usb port comms

carlsnilsson

Licensed User
Longtime User
G'day Erel:
Thank you for support. I purchased Basic4Android about 22 August last year, but only now have had time to purchase and start playing with the PiPO S2 tablet on which I will use it. I still have not installed your software, waiting until I am a little more comfortable with the tablet. The software which I wrote with VB6 for a PC and intend to port to the Android tablet needs access to a wired (RS-232) serial port - separate from a Bluetooth port. So I have two questions: firstly, does Basic4Android have an equivalent to the VB MSComm component to use serial comms? Secondly, I note that my Android (JellyBean 4.1) does not presently allow me the necessary access to the USB port to install/use a /dev/ttyUSB0 port or install a USB to serial adapter. If Basic4Android allows me to use a serial port, do I have to root my Android tablet to use it?

I am being a little cautious about this, as I do not want to "brick" my tablet through clumsy "rooting" and thus have to both purchase another tablet and, in some cases, have to ask for additional software keys.

I look forward to your response.
Carl

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

carlsnilsson

Licensed User
Longtime User
Type of converter chip?

QUOTE=Erel;153685]You can use the UsbSerial library (Basic4android Search: UsbSerial) to connect to a USB to RS232 converter. However it will only work if your tablet supports USB host mode. Note all devices support it.

See this thread about a possible solution (it does require root): http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...m-ttys0-java-io-inputstream-outputstream.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks Erel. ihave learned some more about the situation since posting. The problem is that the converter chip drivers are not loaded in the stock ROM. In your link u mention the ftdi chip - do you have provision for the pl2303 chip? I have now rooted my tablet. Next I need a .ko file for the pl2303 chip .
Carl

Upvote 0