Android Question Dexer optimization

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
In this thread (https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4a-v10-5-beta-is-available-for-download.125981/) I had asked for Dexter to be a # command and you replied
Why? In the last 10 years there was exactly one case where it might have helped and it is related to a custom hardware which I believe is not built properly.

I have two apps (very large) that always fails dexer
B4X:
Convert byte code - optimized dex.    (19.24s)
    Optimized dexer failed. Switching to Standard dexer.

So will the disable dexer optimization fixed that? Faster compile if not trying?

Now rest of my apps seem to work fine. So would I want to disable for everything or is this option not for this?

I'm probably mixing apples and oranges but just want to clarify

Albert Kallal

Licensed User
yes, it seems once you stuff "lots" of code into an application? Then that message starts to appear.

Never noticed a speed drop when using release mode - but it would have been nice if I had "noticed" what the last change was that caused the fall back process to occur. Then perhaps I could figure out what to avoid? But, I can't say as you noted? - does not seem to be show stopper or an issue.

R
Albert

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Optimized Dexer - makes compilation faster. Doesn't have any other effect.
Dexer optimizations - forget about it. You don't need to touch it.

You can disable the optimized dexer in the INI file. If the optimized dexer fails all the time then it makes sense to disable it. It can fail from time to time due to the state of the background compiler.
Nothing bad happens when it fails except of making compilation a bit slower.

Upvote 0