Distribution

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by Cor, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Cor

Cor Active Member Licensed User

Unclear is when compiling for Device (EXE), if this single exe is enough to put this on PDA. Or must I also put a lot of other dll files on the pda?

I am not registered yet...

grCor

2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

If you are not using any image files / data file / library (dll file) then the exe file is enough.
    Otherwise you should include the files that you are using in your project.
    All the files could be merged into one Cab file or setup file.

3. DieterR

DieterR Member Licensed User

What other files may be required to be installed?

I will distribute my compiled B4P application as CAB (or setup) file including all used .dll files. I used the "setupbuilder". The installation workes fine at my own PDA.

My question is, can I be sure that the application will work fine on any other PDA? For example, I understand that the proper .Net Framework must be installed, but the .Net Framework is not part of older WM versions, and there are different versions. If this could be a problem, what should I do to prevent frustration of users who are trying to run my application? :(

Note: Until yet, I didn't try the installation directly after a hard reset of my PDA (WM2003) to see what happend. Nevertheless, this test would not give answers to all views of my question. :cool:

Thank you for any information.:sign0085:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy Expert Licensed User

I remember seeing on mdsn some tutorial to create "self-auto update.net instalation creator", woth the checking....

Another aproach would be determing the .net installed version using the HardWare Lib (NetVersion method) and then continue with the program or not ...

5. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

If you are not using any .Net 2.0 library (like SQL or Outlook) your application will work on any device except Pocket PC 2000, Pocket PC 2002 and WM2003 (not SE).
    These devices will need to install .Net CF 1.0 SP3.

6. DieterR

DieterR Member Licensed User

Hi Erel, Hi Cableguy,
    thank you very much for your quick response. Now I feel much better to don't overlook any basics of distribution.