DOS protection

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by Erel, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

A new module was installed on the server to help protect from (intentional or unintentional) DOS attacks.

Ideally it should never block regular visitors. If you do get blocked then it will be lifted automatically after 60 seconds.

Please report here if you encounter any issue.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. alwaysbusy

alwaysbusy Well-Known Member Licensed User

Good to know! I thought it was on my end there was a problem this night accessing the forum since I just changed my router the other day.

3. NJDude

NJDude Expert Licensed User

Ok, now I understand why last night getting to the B4X site was so painfully slow. It seems ok now.

4. An Schi

An Schi Active Member Licensed User

This is just a minor thing and i don't consider it as annoying:

When i do a search and 'ctrl-click' on several results fast to open them in new tabs, only the first one or two open. The others will be 403 errors. (you don't have permission to access /android/forum/threads/76536/ on this server.)

5. Erel

I also encounter it from time to time when opening multiple pages. I did increase the limits though it can still happen. Note that you can refresh the page after one minute and it will work.

6. An Schi

Would it be possible to deactivate this for licensed users?
    I guess a DDOS attack would make use of unregistered or un-licensed users.
    I doubt the attackers will buy thousands of licenses :eek:;)

7. Erel

It is technically not possible.

When does it happen for you?

8. An Schi

Well, if it is not possible, it is no problem for me. Like i wrote in the first post, it is only a very minor thing...

Example:
    I search for Firebase.
    The first result is: B4A Library FirebaseNotifications - Push messages
    The second result is: B4A Tutorial Integrating Firebase Services
    Now i use 'ctrl-click' on the first and second result. The first one opens, the second one is 403.

A more drastic example is searching for something like 'wheel view' with prefix 'b4a' and 'library'.
    On the result page of that search i would like to open every result in a new tab, to fly over the first posts, the images and compare them.

But again - don't go mad and waste your time ;) It isn't very important nor annoying!

9. alwaysbusy

alwaysbusy Well-Known Member Licensed User

I suggest everyone of the 90k+ members of this forum just could send you their IP address so you can hardcode it...

Mine is 81.82.249.240 :D

joulongleu likes this.
  10. Erel

I'm working on increasing the limits. For some reason it doesn't seem to change anything.

11. NJDude

NJDude Expert Licensed User

I have to agree that is really annoying, last night I was making a post and needed to open a second tab (I was searching) and got the "forbidden" error, I had to close the browser because waiting didn't do a thing.

12. Erel

It doesn't matter whether you close the browser as this the server temporary blocks your ip address. The block is removed after about 30 seconds.

13. udg

udg Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hmmm, what about using the Tor network? :D

14. lemonisdead

lemonisdead Well-Known Member Licensed User

I don't know if it could be related but, it seems that when I am on the mobile, writing some post, the forum autosaves the post and after that I have to press twice the "Post Reply" button. The first attempt is failing and after a short delay I can try again and post.
    Chrome 62.0.3202.84 with data economy engaged.

15. Erel

The limit has been raised. It shouldn't block normal users.

lemonisdead likes this.