Android Question Dropbox is Deprecating Sync API

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have received an email from Dropbox team stating that they are deprecating Sync API. Here is the link to the news:
https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers/2015/04/deprecating-the-sync-and-datastore-apis/#disqus_thread
Can anybody who masters Dropbox explain exactly what that means to some of us who developed B4A applications using the Sync API:
1. if our current applications will eventually cease to work in time.
2. Will we still be able to continue developing for Dropbox or we need to start looking for alternatives..
I am utterly confused.
Thank you

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The reason for the java wrap was to invoke either the Dropbox app or the web browser to do the authneticate.
Users were not comfortable entering their details in my app.
I think it depends on what you want to realize. As far as i see in the Dropbox SDK documentation you need an accesstoken to access data from "your dropbox".
So if we are talking about an app from you then your Dropbox account is used to retrieve/store files.

If you want to store a file from your dropbox down to the dropbox of someone else (like when clicking a share button in your app for ex.). Here is a http api available for this too... but i did not tried it as yet. I see the api to be used by myself (in my apps) to store and retrieve files online when needed.

What exactly do you want to archieve?

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you need an accesstoken to access data from "your dropbox".
How do you obtain the 'Access Token'. You have a line in your code that says:
dbx.Initialize(Me,"DropBox","your access token here",True)
Could you please explain how you derive the access token knowing the app key and secret.
Thank you

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Could you please explain how you derive the access token knowing the app key and secret.
Actually i´m using a build token from the Dropbox App console
dbxtoken0031.png

When you click here on GENERATE it gives you an useable token. For my tests i used this token.
But i´ll create methods to get the token in a normal way too....

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0