iOS Question Dude, where's my notification?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm trying to figure out some things with notifications (thread for that), but all of a sudden I'm unable to make even the most basic notification show. For instance, this code produces nothing:
B4X:
Dim ln As Notification
ln.Initialize(DateTime.Now)
ln.AlertBody = "Woop woop"
ln.PlaySound = True
ln.Register

Granted, I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to basic iPhone usage, so I might have fat-fingered something on the device when fiddling with a notification. I can, however, say with certainty that I haven't gone into Settings and changed anything.

I can't for the life of me find any problems. Here's what I've checked and tried, without success:
  • Restarted the iPhone
  • Cleaned the project
  • Changed the package name
  • Checked in Settings that the app is allowed to show notification
  • Checked in Settings that I didn't mistakenly activate Do Not Disturb
I have no idea what else to do to get back basic notifications. I should also mention that I have no real app usage on the device (and no SIM card or email setup) so there's really nothing else producing notifications.

Any ideas from our experienced iPhone users?

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dude, here is your notification:
B4X:
Dim UNC As UserNotificationCenter
UNC.Initialize
UNC.SetCategoryActions("Category1", Array("Action1", "Action2"))
UNC.CreateNotificationWithContent("YourAppName","Dude, here is your Notification"), "parking_timer", "Category1", DateTime.TicksPerMinute)'1 Notification in 1 Minute

Attachments

• UserNotificationCenter.bas
    3.8 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Alexander, but I can't get this to work either. (Btw, you have an extra ")" at the end of the notification text.)

But I take it it works for you? I've exported my project, would you mind testing it to see if you get a notification?

Attachments

• TestB4iNotifications.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But I take it it works for you?
Yes, the code is from the uPark+ app.

I've exported my project, would you mind testing it to see if you get a notification?
You need to add this code in the main module (Private Sub Application_Start (Nav As NavigationController)):
B4X:
App.RegisterUserNotifications(True, True, True)
UNC.Initialize 'after calling App.RegisterUserNotifications
Then it should work

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, I added that code. Cleaned the project and tried again. This time I got a question when starting the app: "This app wants to send you notifications etc", which I approved.

Triggered notification - nothing happened.

Cleaned and compiled a release version - nothing happened.

Verified in Settings that I didn't pick wrong notification answer when asked - it's set to allow.

Changed package name and tried again - nothing happened.

I feel like I'm eating crazy-pills here, this seems insane. Why isn't it possible for me to produce a notification?

(I did manage to verify that the iPhone can produce notifications thanks to the built-in app Reminders.)

Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you tested in release mode? The notification is sent after 1 minute according to my code. And put the app in the background
I'm not home, so i cant test your project.

The notification is only displayed at the top when the app is in the background

Upvote 1

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The notification is only displayed [...] when the app is in the background
Ugh, this was the central piece of info that I had forgotten. Well, that wasted a full workday.

So, I set the time to a minute again, made a release version and shoved it into the background - worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help Alexander, much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, I set the time to a minute again, made a release version and shoved it into the background - worked like a charm.
Works also in debug mode, as long as the app is still running in the ide
Ugh, this was the central piece of info that I had forgotten. Well, that wasted a full workday.
It's always the simplest things....
Thanks for your help Alexander, much appreciated!
You welcome

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…