EditText Box sequence

wes58

Licensed User
Longtime User
I created an application with the Main Screen Activity which has a number of EditText boxes. I also have a Panel (which is shown on top of main activity windows when selected from the menu) with a few EditText Boxes as well. After I show the Panel and entering data into EditText boxes, I move from one to next EditText box using "Next" button on the keyboard. When I do that, instead of going through each of the EditText Boxes in sequence, it goes to one EditText box on the Panel than it goes to the EditBox on Main Activity screen than again next on the Panel and again to Main Activity Edit Text Box.

What is the Order the EditTex boxes are processed? Does it depend on the name?
I have them named like this: Main Activity - Ed1, Ed2 ... Ed5, and Panel - Eds1, Eds2 ... Eds5.

wes58

Licensed User
Longtime User
Android handles the sequence according to their position. You can set EditText.ForceDone = True in all your EditTexts. Then catch the EditText_EnterPressed event and explicitly set the focus to the next view (with EditText.RequestFocus).
Thanks for reply.
It's strange that Android doesn't have "Tab Order" like Windows.

Upvote 0

wes58

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry for going back to this issue again but there is something else.

I have to rows with two edittext boxes in this row and I can never get to the second edittext box in the same line using keyboard "next" button. It always moves from first line to the next.

Is Android OS really that bad?

Upvote 0

wes58

Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you try my suggestion of using Done instead of Next and explicitly set the focus?

Yes, I did and it works ok.
But I was still surprised that I can't move from one to the next edit text box easily with the keyboard button, if they are in the same line on the same activity screen.

Upvote 0

wheretheidivides

Licensed User
Longtime User
how about code?maybe have 2 edittext boxes in a row (and 2 rows) and instead of going down the column have it go along the row?????? That would help. the code.

Upvote 0