Share My Creation Enigma Machine (Source included)

Hello b4x-community,

I like history and I like more old inventions. I like to see how people with almost 0 tech created such amazing machines.
I came across the Enigma Machine a few days ago and it fascinated me how people tried to solve the problem of sending encrypted messages.

The Enigma Machine is so special because it uses only wires, some gears, electricity, lamps, and most importantly, the human brain. No microchips, no software just poor engineering.

so i wanted to create it using b4j and not everything was clear enough for me from Wikipedia so I looked up some examples and found 1 written in JS so I ported it to b4j.

download here:

(some screenshots)

1.PNG 2.PNG

i am sure most of you already know about the Enigma Machine and maybe don't get excited how i get when i see such a machine but i do recommend you to watch the following video about it.

Have fun exploring the past :)

Last edited:

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
No microchips, no software just poor engineering.

I would say more like brilliant engineering, let down by poor operation procedures that gave Poles and Brits a chink to exploit.

But I agree it would have been better if a character could encode to itself.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
btw, don't u think that it is weird that in the 1930's the keyboard keys order are almost the same as today? :rolleyes: