Erel live coding might be fun to watch

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After a discussion on Material navigation drawers, Erel coded up his own version today. Best guess is that it took him perhaps two hours or so. Very impressive indeed.

I know there's a community out there that enjoys watching live coding, but I've never joined their ranks. However, I must say I would very much enjoy watching a non-edited, non-explaining, furiously coding Erel making a class like this in lightning speed now and then. I have no interest in it being really live though, I'd prefer if Erel just recorded his screen and dumped it all to YouTube when he was done.

Obviously nothing to be added to Erel Teaches Programming, which is very focused on explaining everything carefully. This is more something for us that would enjoy watching the stream of thought of a master coder and would be perfectly fine to pause the video every so often to figure out what he just did. Mistakes, corrections, and everything.

Just putting this out there to see if I'm the only one. :)

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After a discussion on Material navigation drawers, Erel coded up his own version today. Best guess is that it took him perhaps two hours or so. Very impressive indeed.
:)

2 hours, Erel, Nah, I say it took Erel less than 60 minutes, MAXIMUM :D

I will admit it though, that could be interesting to watch, even if it's just once every couple of month or so. Something relatively simple for Erel to create like the menu he created from scratch today from start to finish showing, watching his whole thought process. Erel used the ViewsEx library for the menu today, I've never even click on that library before for myself.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
2 hours, Erel, Nah, I say it took Erel less than 60 minutes, MAXIMUM

I know, right? I got the feeling that he whipped up that code in like half an hour or so, but that just didn't feel at all reasonable so I wrote two hours. We'll see if he let us know how long it took. Perhaps we should start a small betting pool. ;-)

that could be interesting to watch, even if it's just once every couple of month or so

Oh, absolutely. I'd be totally happy if it happened like 2, 3 or 4 times a year. Imagine if we now had like 20 of those videos to watch (I don't really know how old B4A is), that would be a small gold mine. :)

By the way, I told my wife about this idea. She said something about me being a nerd and rolled her eyes so much she saw her own brain. ;-)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
It took me 2 - 3 hours to write the first released version of B4ADrawer. The first draft implementation was based on the touch event. It seemed to work fine until I made a few more tests and realized that you cannot click on anything underneath the transparent panel (it was built differently). This required me to do some learning. Mostly from this page: https://developer.android.com/training/gestures/viewgroup
Update ViewsEx to provide a panel that exposes the internal touch events and implement the drawer based on these touch events.

When I recorded the ETP tutorials I tried to show the real way I write code. The code in the tutorials is written for the first time. The videos are edited, mostly because of English related challenges but I kept most of the coding mistakes and the attempts to solve them.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When I recorded the ETP tutorials I tried to show the real way I write code.

So that's your stream of thought? I was convinced you had a script you followed. That's impressive.

So it turns out that ETP actually is Erel live coding (sort of). I suppose the only thing left to add would be that perhaps ETP could also have sessions showing the creation of classes like this. (I believe most of the current episodes are about concepts.)