Error Opening Project File

awama

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I open Basic4Android Project file it shows an error message as
"Error Loading file.The given key was not present in the dictionary"
The b4a file is empty. I dont know why. I have no Backup of the projekt. :sign0148:

Now I wish an Autobackup-function which save in periodical time the projekt to an backup-folder.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The b4a file is empty.
The IDe will be empty after that error but unless you have saved to it the b4a file is probably OK. You can open it with any text editor and copy and paste the contents into a new project.

I'm afraid I have no idea why you might be getting that error in the first place.

awama

Licensed User
Longtime User
The IDe will be empty after that error but unless you have saved to it the b4a file is probably OK. You can open it with any text editor and copy and paste the contents into a new project.

I'm afraid I have no idea why you might be getting that error in the first place.

Thanks for your fast answer,

... the b4a file is really empty, filesize = 3 Bytes, there is no Code in the Texteditor?!
I have to develop the projekt new.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Depending on what OS you use, some retain older copies of files. XP Pro is one of them, but Vista and 7 may as well. It is worth a shot.

Typically you would right-click on a folder or file in Windows Explorer and look for a tab that says "Previous Versions". If you don't see anything like that then I'm afraid you may be out of luck. If you do see that tab though, you may be able to restore the file(s) or entire project folder.

I generally only make backups of my project when I am releasing an official version, but I do sometimes make a backup before or after big changes. It's a good habit to get in.

I also have software that makes daily backups to a second hard drive of specific folders that I care most about. Programming projects, pictures, financial, stuff like that.

Good luck!

awama

Licensed User
Longtime User
@ Erel
I don't remember to get any error message when I saved the project (last save was 10 days ago)
I use b4a v1.92
Yesterday I install the Android-SDK in an other folder as before. After start B4A by click on the *.b4a file I get an error message. (but I don't remenber the massage content)

@Kevin
I use XP Pro. I look for a tab in Windows Explorer that says "Previous Versions" but I couldn't find it.

Now I check the harddrive with an hex/disk-editor (HxD). So I could find any code-parts. The file is very fragmented on the disk and I have to remember specific code-words for string-search. Aktually I found ca 500 of 4000 Codelines.

awama

Licensed User
Longtime User
once more ...

yesterday in the evening I compiled for the last time, next day I will start the project
and I get a messagebox :

"An error occurred.
Error loading file.
The given key was not present in the dictionary."

The b4a file is empty (in Texteditor) , in Windows Explorer ist the filesize 102KB
The *.bas files are ok.

wish ide: automatic periodical store of last modifications in an backup / undone folder

awama

Licensed User
Longtime User
update...

after copying a backup *.b4a file in the projekt-folder the *.bas files are destroyed.

Is there a virus???

if I open an older backup from the backupfolder it works fine!?

awama

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes I use v1.92. ".bas files destroyed" ... I mean the files are empty in text editor although the windows explorer
shows the right filesize of the .b4a and .bas files

More than 5 times I've had these empty files in different projects.
I save the projects in an external USB hard disk. Can this be the cause of the problem described?

awama

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, thanks for answer,

ok, I try to copy the files to the local drive and see whether it makes any difference.

of course I have b4a v2.71