Android Question Error sending email

Dman

Licensed User
Longtime User
In my program, I create reports and send them via email. The only problem any of my customers has ever had with it is when they change their gmail password and don't change it in my app. It has been very reliable.

I have a new customer that has no problem when his tablet is connected to his wifi but when he uses the hotspot from his phone, it gives him an error and doesn't send. He can send emails via gmail fine with it but not directly from my app. He is across the country from me and I have no access to his device.

Can someone recommend how I could go about checking for the problem?

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you tried a similar configuration? Does he have a firewall configured on his phone?

Upvote 0

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
when he uses the hotspot from his phone
Could it be possible that his ISP is blocking some ports ? Could you check with your customer that he has setup the port 465 (with SSL) or 587 (TLS) ? In fact, I wonder that when he uses the Gmail's app which works even on tether, the app uses the secured ports

Upvote 0

Dman

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am just getting back on this. I have a test email little app that I wrote before and I am going to tweak it to where he can try sending ssl or tls.

Problem is I know the line for SSL is SMTP.UseSSL = True

I can't seem to find an example of trying it another way.

Upvote 0

giga

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with lemonisdead, usually there a few problems receiving email. ISP's don't care what you get incoming but outgoing is a different story. ISP's
normally monitor outgoing ports to prevent spammers.

A long shot but in testing you could authenticate the outgoing email with his "hotspot" associated email address and password and see if that works.

Upvote 0

Dman

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK Sorry for the delay, we have been very busy around here. I am ready to get back on this now. I chatted with the customer today and he told me that he is tethering with bluetooth. I know nothing about tethering and I assumed it was via wifi.

Upvote 0

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
I have done a test while tethering via Bluetooth and I was able to send an email exactly like with the WiFi one. If this project is very important for you, perhaps should you try using a http job posting to a php script to relay the message. Just a thought

Upvote 0

Dman

Licensed User
Longtime User
He can send fine when tethering via wifi, just not bluetooth. He is the only customer that has ever had a problem. He said it is no problem to tether wifi, so there is no hurry right now but I would still like to figure it out. Thanks.

Upvote 0