Android Question Error with fingerprint manager - hardware detected

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
I got from an Android 4.4.2, this:
B4X:
Caused by java.lang.RuntimeException: Object should first be initialized (JavaObject).
       at anywheresoftware.b4a.AbsObjectWrapper.getObject(AbsObjectWrapper.java:50)
       at anywheresoftware.b4j.object.JavaObject.getCurrentClass(JavaObject.java:258)
       at anywheresoftware.b4j.object.JavaObject.RunMethod(JavaObject.java:118)
and the b4a code line is
B4X:
Return sensor.RunMethod("isHardwareDetected", Null)
Perhaps we should use a "try-catch" block there?

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
A temporary fix, tested on a android 4, is:
B4X:
Public Sub getHardwareDetected As Boolean
   If sensor.IsInitialized Then  
   Return sensor.RunMethod("isHardwareDetected", Null)
   Else
       Return False
   End If  
End Sub
Hope there is a better approach.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This class uses inline Java to access the fingerprint API introduced in Android 6.
It will only work on Android 6+ devices.

so you should use Phone Lib to check the SDK Version. Only use it with Android 6+ Devices.

Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
so you should use Phone Lib to check the SDK Version. Only use it with Android 6+ Devices.

I actually have a friend with a smartphone with fingerprint sensor, running android 5, and this class works great. Perhaps they give users a 'fix'.
Furthermore, I wouldn't want to use phone lib, some users find it sensitive, so for now, I'll just stack with the above workaround.
Thank you very much, Don, I always find your answers helpful.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Furthermore, I wouldn't want to use phone lib, some users find it sensitive, so for now, I'll just stack with the above workaround.
Adding the Phone library to check the SdkVersion will not add any permission.

Permissions are only added when you declare a type that actually needs the permission.

Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
Adding the Phone library to check the SdkVersion will not add any permission.

Permissions are only added when you declare a type that actually needs the permission.
I see! Then, this is great and Don's suggestion will be followed!
But then, I miss some older devices which to my surprise react well to the fingreprint class :(

Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
It will be very surprising if FingerprintManager really works on an Android 5 devices. Maybe the phone was updated and actually runs Android 6.
I know but I've seen it with my own eyes earlier today! Tomorrow I'm going to check what really goes on with my friend's phone, perhaps you're absolutely right!

Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
Please report back
It's a Xiaomi device, see the attached screenshot. Everything works great. I'm pretty sure it received a patch for this.
However, I keep receiving random errors from devices running below api 23, so I guess I will follow your advice and remove support for these older devices.

Screenshot_2018-09-28-11-59-51-864_com.android.settings.png

Upvote 0