Android Question Exception: Cannot parse: -1 as boolean

foretek

Licensed User
My project use Bluetooth. I port a working code from VB to B4A. When data in Bluetooth communication, I received "Exception: Cannot parse: -1 as boolean" error at (java line 1501). Total code has 1109 line in B4A. Here is the message. Any help? Thank you.
upload_2019-12-19_8-3-46.png

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it is not unusual to incorrectly use the result of an operation as a boolean.
as an example, a string compare returns an integer, not true/false.

this code will throw the error you see:
B4X:
if name.compareTo("foretek") then     ' <<<< compareTo() returns an int, not a boolean
   log("hello, " & name)
else
   log("you are not foretek")
end if

in this example, the correct syntax is: if name.compareTo("foretek") = 0 then...

see if any operations that you are using to determine true or false actually return an integer.
there is a hint in the error message: your sub rxprocess

Upvote 0

foretek

Licensed User
Thanks for replying. I only have one Sub that uses Boolean as return. I changed its return as Int, returns 0, or 1. Also changed its calling routine. That part works fine. I still get the "Cannot parse: -1 as boolean" error. Is there any way I can look into java line 1501 to find out which B4A statement causes this?

Upvote 0

foretek

Licensed User
Hi, Klaus. I am new. Your suggestion is what I need. I found the problem. I use a received byte from bluetooth to assign to a checkbox1.Checked to turn it on/off with value 255 or 0. The received byte value 255 becomes -1 in B4A. When -1 is assigned to checkbox1.Checked, it generate the "Cannot parse: -1 as boolean" error. Thanks for all your helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0