Extracting Exif Data

jesb4ppc

Licensed User
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if it's possible to extract and use the exif data from a .JPG file. I guess that opening the .jpg file in byte mode will be the first approching, but is there any function/object/dll or something to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Jes.

tigme

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have done a similar thing extracting IPTC data from JPEG reading the file in binary with PHP4 and then do a search for tags to find the Caption of a photo created in Photoshop (for example). So theoretically finding EXIF would be same.

What I would like to know is:

Does anybody have some advice writing your own IPTC/EXIF data into a JPEG. I'm developing an App where the client can edit upload his pics and then FTP them as needed.

I want to do an FTP Client in B4PPC that can resize/ftp JPEG to an FTP server...

Last edited:

maXim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi jesb4ppc,

Look the Thread "db2000 - JPEG Exif" in "Italian Forum"...
Full Basic4ppc OpenSource! :)

Best Regards.

maXim

HARRY

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Quite some time ago I have written in Visual Basic some routines to extract data from a JPEG file: the date a photo was made; the width and the height.

Today, thanks to the excellence of Basic4PPC and the support organization, I have made the same functionality in Basic4PPC.

Attached you will find the demonstration program, containing two routines. It is eay to incorporate those routines in another program: the interface is just a call with the filename and a structure to receive the data. Another structure is required for the routines.

For those who require other information to extract, on http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF you will find the codes for all other information. Adding Manufacturer and Model took me a quarter of an hour.

The JFIF format is not (yet) supported; if some body would like that to be supported, please let me know.

Harry

Harry

Attachments

• JPEG.sbp
    3.7 KB · Views: 259

maXim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Harry,

I see with pleasure Your interest to the Exif data! I would like to exchange the experiences but there is only a problem: I don't know very the language English :(... You know Italian language? (also few little) ;)

Best Regards.

maXim

jesb4ppc

Licensed User
Thank You

Thank you very much to you all, specially maXim and Harry.

That's another side of basic4ppc. Is not only the tool itself, but also the people around it.

Thank you again.:)

HARRY

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hallo Maxim,

Sorry, but I don't speak, read or write Italian. Dutch by preference, English, German and somewhat French is also OK. I tried to read your Italian article , but I do not understand the clue.

Harry

maXim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi HARRY,

Sig! :(

Well, if You agree, I will communicate in English with the hope not to commit many errors...

Which other experiences have You done in Exif data management?

Best Regards

maXim

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
To overcome the communication problem you could try using Microsoft Word to translate, tools>language>transulate.

Per superare il problema che di comunicazione potreste provare usando il Microsoft Word per tradurre, tools>language>transulate.

Its not 100% reliable but might just help (normally I translate into the language I want and then back to English to see that it hasn't screwed up)

Regards,
RandomCoder

HARRY

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Quite some time ago I posted sample code tot extract EXIF data from a JPEG file.

Recently I found myself two errers in that code:

1) Some manufacturers of camera devices store values in the EXIF data with the Least Significant Byte first, others with the Most Significant Byte first. This was not covered in my sample.

2) Values of less than 5 bytes will be stored in the OffSet field itself, in stead of the OffSet fields indicating an offset to the place where that data is stored. E.g the manufacturer name HTC will be stored in the offset field itself.

In my sample code this was not always covered.

I found these problems after buying another camera.

For those interested I have attached the improved sample code.

Harry

Attachments

• JPEG.sbp
    4.6 KB · Views: 208

ihatton

Licensed User
Longtime User
Harry,

Thanks for posting this sample application. I am interested in accessing the GPS co-ordinates which can be included in the EXIF header (in order to geotag a photo) and wondered if you have already implemented this in a newer version of your code?

Best Regards,
Ian Hatton

HARRY

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hallo ihatton,

No, I didn't include GPS data in my code. If you still need it, I will try to do so. Please let me know.

Harry

HARRY

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hallo ihatton,

Meanwhile I finished the code to extract latitude, longitude and altitude from the EXIF data. However, I have problems in testing it as I have myself only two images with GPS data. Could you mail me some more images with GPS data, indicating as far as possible the location where these pictures were taken?

Harry

ihatton

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Harry,

Sorry for the delayed response. The attached zip file contains some JPEG samples with GPS data in the EXIF header. I also included the PC command line utility jhead.exe which will display the EXIF header data for cross checking purposes.

Best Regards,
Ian Hatton

HARRY

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Ian,

Meanwhile I finished the work. Attached you will find the code of the test program, the module that does the extraction and a compiled demonstration program.

The test program includes a own made module to select a file. This module allows to select sub directories as much as you want, which is not possible on the device with the OpenDialog component.

Some explanation: the selection starts from the C:\ disk on the PC or from \ on the device. Directories are marked with "D", files with "F". Click on a "D" line to see lower level directories or files. Click on a "F" line to select that file. With the left button you go to a higher level, if available; with the right button the selection process is cancelled.

I found a program (Resco Photo Manager) on internet to add coordinates to a EXIF file; so I could test the extraction much better.

The files you have sent me are JFIF files; so I could not use them for testing. I learned from internet that some programs handling images change a file with EXIF data into a file with JFIF data.

Good luck. If there are any problems, please inform me,

Harry

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User