(Feedback) Forum upgrade - How the forum decides when to show author on left or on bottom ?

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How the forum decides when to show author on left or on bottom ?

Below is screen-shots of two threads of today, but they show in different ways.

b4a2.png b4a1.png

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that's a configuration by Erel. Seems the new version of XenForo can support different kinds of presentations for different forums now. (The Share Your Creations is another such presentation, I'd imagine.)

For whatever it's worth, I dislike having the author on the bottom. Not only does it make the width of the lines overly long and waste space, I also actually like to know right away who wrote the post. In another thread Erel said it's more like a blog, which I disagree with. A blog is typically something a single person writes, which is identified by the blog header. This is a forum, where lots of people write, so I have no idea up front who wrote it.

Like I said, I dislike it. But I'll manage, I suppose. Not a hill I'm willing to die on, I accept that my opinions aren't perfectly aligned with those of Erel.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For whatever it's worth, I dislike having the author on the bottom.
Agree fully. Here in forum we need to know who is the author of the thread, as same question from new member and expert means a lots, as we can gauge the level of problem from it. At least this is how I read the thread.

The bottom display is not helping me šŸ˜¢

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
True, this is how "articles" look like. The author name does appear under the title, though it is easy to miss. I've made it bold now.

1630503133316.png

Tutorials, libraries and code snippets are considered articles, as the main content is in the first post. It makes sense to focus on the content and to make the first post look different.

The other posts in the articles threads are comments. It is different than general discussions.