Android Question File.DirRootExternal not the path of the sd-card?

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Hello,

In the theory you get with DirRootExternal the path of an external storage media or sd-card. Is that right?

Because with me comes a completely different path out and try to save something under the path it saves it always on the device not on the SD.

I add this permission to the manifest editor:
B4X:
AddPermission("android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE")
And writeable is true.

Or is there another way to save the sd card? All tutorials I have read have been based on "DirRootExternal"

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
I have one more question,

I use: GetAllSafeDirExternal, as a result I get 2 paths. The second path is the sd-card. The Problem is, i cant convert an array to string. And if i use this array, i get errors.

My Code:
B4X:
Dim rp As RuntimePermissions
        Dim folders As List = rp.GetAllSafeDirsExternal("")
        Dim List2 As List
        List2.Initialize
        List2.AddAll(folders)
        List2.RemoveAt(0)

astream.StreamFolder = List2
Result:
B4X:
(ArrayList) [/storage/0123-4567/Android/data/b4a.testing/files]
Errors:

B4X:
Error: (ErrnoException) android.system.ErrnoException: open failed: ENOENT (No such file or directory)
Permission to write on there is set:
B4X:
AddPermission("android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE")

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
B4X:
    Log(rp.GetSafeDirDefaultExternal(""))
this log the only folder on the sdcard which is writeable for your app. Usually it is the second storage (internal!).

You dont have access to a third storage (External SDCard) starting from android 5 (or was it 4.4?). I may be wrong

Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Correct

Edit: if you have setup your device to use the external storage for app-installations then you may get a path on the external sdcard, But again; only THIS one Folder is writeable for your app.
You dont have WRITE-Access to any other folder.

You can for sure READ the files on external sdcard using my STORAGE lib. See https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/donmanfreds-overview.54618/ for a list of my libs... It´s the first i published

See Example attached

Attachments

Last edited: