Finally SSD

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I will try to install Windows 8.1 64bit.

But another problem arises, Windows 7 32b I installed with the MB in Legacy mode.
But Windows 8.1 64b requires UEFI mode.
To enable UEFI, if not yet, you should format again and before installation convert the partitions to GPT.
But it will delete all the existing partitions.
To get the best from systems with SSD that make the difference.
I have very good experience with Win 10 64 bit.
Sorry it's not the same for You.
As @Filippo said, 64 bit version is needed to use the whole ram you have now.

Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To enable UEFI, if not yet, you should format again and before installation convert the partitions to GPT.
But it will delete all the existing partitions.
To get the best from systems with SSD that make the difference.
I have very good experience with Win 10 64 bit.
Sorry it's not the same for You.
As @Filippo said, 64 bit version is needed to use the whole ram you have now.
In fact, as I wrote before, I did not want to partition and format again.

I spent 2 days for the ride.

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I understand you clearly.
Formatting the system it's always a pain even when everything goes ok.

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
FYI, Windows 10 does not per se require UEFI
No, Windows 10 will continue to support legacy BIOS. For new devices that are launched a year after the release of Windows 10, they must have UEFI and Secure Boot enabled at the factory. This does not affect existing systems.
Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...i/1ced300f-6141-4d8e-ad55-016ef69acc99?auth=1

I've upgraded several 8.1 Pro's to 10 Pro's w/o issues. Note: At work, I went from XP to Vista to 8 (then 8.1) to 10. Yeah, no 7. The one that did initially give me the most headaches (early versions having broken roaming profile support) - 10. The one that seems to be the most stable after using it for quite a while - 10. Go figure. Also, once you go SSD, you'll never go back (or if you do, you want to stab yourself, or, preferably, throw the machine out the window).

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately I do not know the problem that generates the error so I can not solve something that I do not understand.

After installation, I copied the data and installed office. And then blue screen, restarting mo said it was not able to restore... The End

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After installation
You did a clean install and you still had a BSOD? Wow. The only BSOD's I've experienced are after I did a transfer from one drive to anther (both HD to SSD and even SSD to SSD). Then it's time for some command line work to fix the issues (last fall update, 1709, brought some new issues to the table).

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I did a clean installation. I preferred it to make a copy of the HDD.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User