Android Question Fingerprint auth into Android 5 to Android 8 when available?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by AscySoft, Apr 7, 2019.

1. AscySoft

AscySoft Active Member Licensed User

Hi
    I have an work app whitch is running on many android devices, from 5.0 to 8.1 etc.
    I am aware of this thread regarding fingerprint auth (when supported) from android 6+ and up.
    I want to implement fingerprint authentification, but I don't want to modify min sdk version on manifest editor to 23.
    How should I do that? I just want to use fingerprint when hardware + software are supporting this feature, else remain to classic login dialog when android is prior 6.0 etc.
    Is it posible? I think so, and I think I am missing something simple. Please advice me. Thank you.
    PS: something like <uses-feature android: name="android.hardware.fingerprint" android: required=“false”/>

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

What happens if you only add the class and don't initialize it? Do you get any error on the Android 5 device?

3. AscySoft

AscySoft Active Member Licensed User

Befor I'll do that (witch involve complex gui change in my code as it is right now) I was first thinking to only ask if such thing is possible?
    I left the mahifest to min sdk 14, and added permission for fingerprint. Without any call to this class I made a compile without errors so far. So this must be it right?

4. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

It can work if you don't call any method of this class. However this is something that you need to test.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice