Fingerprint authentication & first article of the italian constitution

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
First article of the italian constitution:

L'Italia è una Repubblica democratica, fondata sul lavoro. La sovranità appartiene al popolo, che la esercita nelle forme e nei limiti della Costituzione.

Italy is a democratic republic, founded on work. Sovereignty belongs to the people, who exercise it in the forms and limits of the Constitution.

"in the forms and limits..."; actually here we are waiting for a referendum (2 years!!!) to decide if change something of our Constitution. Bad and unuseful (or even harmful) changes! Do you know some country in which the technology has given more power to the people?

I love the year 1789 !!!

Last edited:

fixit30

Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought discussions about politics was not permitted in these forums?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought discussions about politics was not permitted in these forums?
You are right but for once, since I talked about democracy in general and the fact that there are technological means to obtain it (one of these is mentioned in the title)...

I'm not talking about "left" or "right" nor about a specific politician or political party; all the world's politicians say that the citizen is sovereign... but they say it only.

If this is not good, Erel can delete the entire thread when he wants to, of course.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Furthermore...

Our referendum asks the people if it wants to change a branch of Parliament, also to save money, but at the same time we discuss a new electoral law (two-round) that will lead to spending hundreds of millions more; then I would ask:
what secure system you should implement to allow voting by electronic devices (the counting of votes is the main problem, the total could be manipulated by a single person).

Please, solve this problem; I'll sell "the system" to my country and I will become rich (or, more likely, I will be dead in two days :D).

P.S. I found out right now that in Estonia there is electronic voting !!!

Last edited:

Lahksman

Licensed User
Longtime User
In Belgium there has been electronic voting since 1991 (first try-out).

We can't vote from home and all the voting computers are disconnected from any network. They ask our pasport and give us a voting card (comparable with a creditcard).
Insert this card in the voting machine, do your thing and place the card in a sepperate box which processes the vote.

These boxes are brought to a central station for counting.

So there is little possibility of manipulation.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In Belgium there has been electronic voting since 1991 (first try-out).

We can't vote from home and all the voting computers are disconnected from any network. They ask our pasport and give us a voting card (comparable with a creditcard).
Insert this card in the voting machine, do your thing and place the card in a sepperate box which processes the vote.

These boxes are brought to a central station for counting.

So there is little possibility of manipulation.
It is better than our old method with pencil and paper (!) but I think that we should have the possibility to vote from home (or from anywhere), still with using a card (and maybe... fingerprint!). This way we might vote also for many referenda per year!

Lahksman

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is better than our old method with pencil and paper (!)
Yes and no.
Yes: The counting is easier and less time consuming.
No: It is now impossible to cast an invalid vote, only a blank vote.