iOS Question Firebase Notifications issues

Kevin Hartin

Licensed User
A very important part of my app that runs on both Android and iOS to receive Push Notifications and act upon them.

It works perfectly in Android, but when I try to get it working in iOS, it seems to connect and receive a token and subscribes to the two channels, then when it come to receiving, nothing...

In frustration I built a B4XPages test app for both Android and iOS based on Erels Tutorials. Again, the Android app works perfectly 100% of the time, but the iOS app works only sometimes, probably less than 5% of the time. It has worked both when the app is in background, popping up the system notification, as well as foreground, showing the msgbox as per the sample app, but neither very often.

Question 1: Is there an issue with reliably receiving push notifications on iOS? Is there an apple alternative to Firebase?

Question 2: As FB runs as a service in Android, I assume this is how it can receive notifications when asleep, etc. In iOS, it is loaded and the subs for handling receiving are also in the Main class. Does this mean that a Push Notification is not received and acted upon unless the app is sitting in the Main class? Is there a specific way that is different for B4Xpages apps?

I have attached all three test projects and would appreciate any feeback on thais as it is delaying the rollout of my iOS app.

Thanks,
Kev

Attachments

• FBpushTest_B4a.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 111
  • FBpushTest_iOS.zip
    226.2 KB · Views: 108
  • non-ui_B4j.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 115

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
: Is there an issue with reliably receiving push notifications on iOS?
No.

Is there an apple alternative to Firebase?
Firebase works very good.

As FB runs as a service in Android, I assume this is how it can receive notifications when asleep,
Not exactly. The Android OS starts the service after the message arrived.
Does this mean that a Push Notification is not received and acted upon unless the app is sitting in the Main class?
iOS will not start your app. It will show the notification for you.

Start a new project based on this: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...h-messages-server-not-required.68645/#content
If it doesn't work then you misconfigured something.

Upvote 0

Kevin Hartin

Licensed User
No.

Firebase works very good.

Not exactly. The Android OS starts the service after the message arrived.

iOS will not start your app. It will show the notification for you.

Start a new project based on this: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...h-messages-server-not-required.68645/#content
If it doesn't work then you misconfigured something.
Erel,

My test project follows the tutorial, with the only exception being B4Xpages rather than a Default app.

Is there any means by which debuging of such messaging is possible?

Kev

Upvote 0