Android Question Firebase?

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am looking into firebase as a way to keep real time data streaming because its a CDN as well as a database.

Problem is, I cant find anything out there that supports it for B4A or B4I.

There is a java library, and an ios obj-C library for firebase, but unsure as to how to make it work on B4X?

any ideas?

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
live scoring. and the userbase down the road could be massive. multiple scorekeepers, multiple viewers. Text data.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
The man in the middle approach wont work as required with RDC. Your tutorial requires a "PC" running a server program that creates the link if I understand it correctly. This is unfortunate because I could have up to 1000 devices in the field and each and every person would have to run a server? And if I setup a server that allows 1000 devices to connect to it, well, itll probably choke out. And if I had to do that, I would end up using my own database instead of firebase anyway. The whole point of me using firebase, its backed by google, has tons of bandwidth and power, and its a real-time CDN by allowing node.js connections. I personally dont have any experience with firebase, but I know people who do and from what I saw with my own eyes, its awesome!

I am trying to create a world-wide live score sports broadcasting network that supports our scoreboards. I know there are products out there that already do this so it sounds like I am re-inventing the wheel here, and in some ways I am. However my implementation is going to be slightly different than the other apps on the Play/App store.

The official firebase API library for java is out there. But it would be awesome if someone created a library/wrapper for it. I was reading the thread on wrapper-less java libraries but alot of it went over my head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have running GCM solution. Will port it to Firebase the next weeks -> be patient, it's summer :) and post a tutorial. Like everytime I prefer php instead of RDC.

The solution could be:

- device/user has to choose the scores/teams he's interested in
- the chosen content is handled in a database (like in FB someone is "following" a person or here a thread)
- if new content is created which the device/user follows, via Firebase the device gets a message
- to get the content
- display the message (like "Real Madrid scored against Bayern München 2:1")
- a simple httpjob is started to get the content (like a new scoreboard)

Benefits:

- you can use Google servers for the messages an another to do the db stuff
- all devices just register and wait for messages (Google - for free)
- no messages = no database/server load :)
- you can handle it (like 100 devices get messages per second)
- so the server/db will not crash
- you can use b4j to handle it (if you are able to run it on the server - otherwise just use php)

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0