Share My Creation Five Dice! Language Support

Hi folks,

I have released a beta update to Five Dice! (v22.0) which adds language support using Erel's Localizator class. Initially I have added Spanish, German & Dutch to the existing English support - so if you're a proficient speaker of any of these languages I'd appreciate you giving the beta a quick once-over to see if the translations generally make sense.

I used a translation plug-in for Google Sheets (which I assume uses Google Translate) & my very limited knowledge of Spanish, so I'm not 100% sure how good the translations are - but if I get feedback that they are bad, then I will pay a professional to translate them for me (as I have with some of my apps store listings).

If you've got a few minutes to spare to take a look, here's a link to the beta signup -> https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.airlinemates.yahtzee

Screenshot_20181102-143050[1].png
Screenshot_20181102-143101[1].png

Thanks - Colin.

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Colin,

In Spanish speaking countries (at least in Spain, not sure about the others) some dice or poker names are not translated, so "Full House" or "Full" remains the same. Even if the translations are literally correct and one could deduce what they mean, IMO it would be better:

3 de una clase: very literal but totally understandable. It would also be correct '3 iguales' or 'Trio'
4 de una clase: the same. Also correct '4 iguales' or 'Poker'
Casa llena: definitely incorrect, even if in some places it is also automatically translated this way --> 'Full house' or 'Full'
Recto pequeño: incorrect, I'd say 'Escalera pequeña'
Recta grande: same as before, it would be 'Escalera grande'
Five dice!: ok
Oportunidad: I'd leave it as 'Chance'. If not, 'Suerte' or 'Suma' (what it is really)
Prima: I'd leave the word 'Bonus', as it is universal
Roll 1 .... : 'Lanzar dados (1)' ...

I'll take a deeper look to the app this weekend :)

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Colin,

In Spanish speaking countries (at least in Spain, not sure about the others) some dice or poker names are not translated, so "Full House" or "Full" remains the same. Even if the translations are literally correct and one could deduce what they mean, IMO it would be better:

3 de una clase: very literal but totally understandable. It would also be correct '3 iguales' or 'Trio'
4 de una clase: the same. Also correct '4 iguales' or 'Poker'
Casa llena: definitely incorrect, even if in some places it is also automatically translated this way --> 'Full house' or 'Full'
Five dice!: ok
Oportunidad: I'd leave it as 'Chance'. If not, 'Suerte' or 'Suma' (what it is really)
Prima: I'd leave the word 'Bonus', as it is universal
Roll 1 .... : 'Lanzar dados (1)' ...

I'll take a deeper look to the app this weekend :)

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'll start making the changes you suggested & any others you come up with. I did spent quite a bit of time in Latin America (Chile, Peru, Argentina, Colombia & Brazil (yes I know - Portuguese!)) a few years back but as I said, "mi espanol es malo"!

- Colin.

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User

Hi Jordi - I do have an issue with space, so are there acceptable abbreviations for these 2?

- Colin.

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Only a bit shorter, 'Escalera mayor' and 'Escalera menor'. If not, do 'Escalera de 5' and 'Escalera de 4' fit? :)
Thanks - mayor & menor will fit. It's actually just pequena that's 1 character too long...

- Colin.