Folder names in other languages

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by sahoopes, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. sahoopes

    sahoopes Member Licensed User

    I have a user using a Portuguese version of WM 6.1 and he reports that my screen capture program does not display folder names correctly. He says they show up in strange characters and if he selects them the app crashes.

    I read that B4PPC uses Unicode by default so I would expect that the language would not be a problem.

    I read in another post about setting up text files for text used in a program in different languages but these stringhs are being supplied by the OS.

    It occurs when loading a TreeView control with the folder tree of the device. The TreeView displays fine (with strange characters) and only produces an error when a folder is selected and it tries to access that folder.

    In simple terms my tree is loaded using the DirSearch function. Is there something I can do to remedy this? Is it something wrong in his device setup?
     
  2. Erel

    Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

    I tested the TreeView control with some Portuguese characters and it appears to display fine.
    It is possible that if the text is not displayed correctly that later when you retrieve the text it doesn't hold the unrecognized characters.
     
  3. agraham

    agraham Expert Licensed User

    Might be a stream encoding problem, how are you loading the TreeView?
     
  4. sahoopes

    sahoopes Member Licensed User

    I use DirSearch to retrieve device folders and AddNode to add them to TreeView. Other than sorting the array returned by DirSearch, the folder names are not processed between DirSearch and AddNode.

    The user wrote:
     
  5. agraham

    agraham Expert Licensed User

    Ordinarily substitution of accented characteres would indicate that there is a encoding/codepage problem but as everything on a device is supposed to be Unicode I have no idea how this can happen. :confused:
     
  6. sahoopes

    sahoopes Member Licensed User

    Any possibility the encoding of the foreign language strings are changed in DirSearch, ArrayList, ArrayList Sort, or by TreeView?
     
  7. agraham

    agraham Expert Licensed User

    I've poked around with .NET Reflector and can't see anything suspicious.
     
  8. Cableguy

    Cableguy Expert Licensed User

    One problem than can make this to happen is the user to have a "non-oficial" ROM, with some text stuff mixed....
    I gave up on My Oficial Portuguese ROM as it had a lot of small bugs, some of them text characters related...

    I now have an English ROM, and even if I use Portuguese accented strings, I have no problem with none of my apps..
     
  9. sahoopes

    sahoopes Member Licensed User

    I thought maybe it was his ROM but could not be sure. Thank you agraham, Erel, Cableguy for looking into this for me.
     
Loading...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice