Folder names in other languages

sahoopes

Licensed User
I have a user using a Portuguese version of WM 6.1 and he reports that my screen capture program does not display folder names correctly. He says they show up in strange characters and if he selects them the app crashes.

I read that B4PPC uses Unicode by default so I would expect that the language would not be a problem.

I read in another post about setting up text files for text used in a program in different languages but these stringhs are being supplied by the OS.

It occurs when loading a TreeView control with the folder tree of the device. The TreeView displays fine (with strange characters) and only produces an error when a folder is selected and it tries to access that folder.

In simple terms my tree is loaded using the DirSearch function. Is there something I can do to remedy this? Is it something wrong in his device setup?

sahoopes

Licensed User
Might be a stream encoding problem, how are you loading the TreeView?

I use DirSearch to retrieve device folders and AddNode to add them to TreeView. Other than sorting the array returned by DirSearch, the folder names are not processed between DirSearch and AddNode.

The user wrote:
I noticed it doesn't seem to support unicode... Or has some issues

My WM 6.1 system is in Portuguese and some dirs are translated:
"My Memory"->"A minha memória"
"Memory Card"->"Cartão de Memória"

In capsure menu those "starnge chars" like ó and ã display as an odd symbol (when selecting the save folder) and if any folder with those is selected the app just crashes...

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
"starnge chars" like ó and ã display as an odd symbol
Ordinarily substitution of accented characteres would indicate that there is a encoding/codepage problem but as everything on a device is supposed to be Unicode I have no idea how this can happen. :confused:

sahoopes

Licensed User
Any possibility the encoding of the foreign language strings are changed in DirSearch, ArrayList, ArrayList Sort, or by TreeView?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
One problem than can make this to happen is the user to have a "non-oficial" ROM, with some text stuff mixed....
I gave up on My Oficial Portuguese ROM as it had a lot of small bugs, some of them text characters related...

I now have an English ROM, and even if I use Portuguese accented strings, I have no problem with none of my apps..

sahoopes

Licensed User
One problem than can make this to happen is the user to have a "non-oficial" ROM, with some text stuff mixed....
I gave up on My Oficial Portuguese ROM as it had a lot of small bugs, some of them text characters related...

I now have an English ROM, and even if I use Portuguese accented strings, I have no problem with none of my apps..

I thought maybe it was his ROM but could not be sure. Thank you agraham, Erel, Cableguy for looking into this for me.