Android Question Force factory reset

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by nibbo, May 15, 2019.

1. nibbo

nibbo Active Member Licensed User

Hi all

Is there a way to force a factory reset from within an app?
    I found this https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/wipe-device.99912/#content which fires up the reset dialogue but the user still has the option to cancel.

The reason for this is that some of my users are on the road and they have managed to lose or have their tablets stolen.

I can inhibit most stuff by changing their password so any remembered passwords wont work anymore but it would be nice to have the added security of wiping the device completely if they attempt to use any of the apps.
    Currently the app returns a 'destroy' directive when they attempt to log in which will delete the SQLite database but I would really prefer it if I could do a factory reset.

My guess is that this is not possible as the reset is part of the android settings and we can only launch it but one of you clever guys may know different?

Thanks

2. MarkusR

MarkusR Well-Known Member Licensed User

nibbo likes this.
  3. nibbo

Interesting, not all of our devices are registered but it could be a good approach.
    Will definitely look into this one.
    Thanks MarkusR

MarkusR likes this.
  4. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

It is the allowed and google suggested way. I don´t think that you can do a factory reset by code

Peter Simpson likes this.
  5. nibbo

Not sure how practical this would be. We have 30 reps, 15 drivers and several other tablet users.
    I guess they would all have to be registered to the same google account to allow central control over this but some of them prefer to use their own accounts so they can download other apps etc...
    Still probably the way to go but will need to put some rules in place.

I am wondering if I can force it into a kiosk mode which always launches the factory reset setting so it is of little use to them until they reset it...

Thanks

6. MarkusR

7. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

it is a new question for which you should create a new thread. Note that the Kioskmode must be activated through ADB. Can not be activated/deactivated by code.

8. MarkusR

i believe starting from android os 5 you have a multi user system.

9. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member Licensed User

A while back I used Samsung devices as (sort of) kiosks. They had something called Samsung Knox that was supported by the kiosk software. The Knox provided a lot more options on controlling the device, and I wouldn't be surprised if it could be used to trigger a factory reset also.

Might be something to look into? https://www.samsungknox.com/en

10. moster67

moster67 Expert Licensed User

11. amidgeha

amidgeha Member Licensed User

Try this App and this one too. The device must be rooted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice