FormExDesktop v2.0 for Basic4ppc v6.90

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Owing to internal changes in Basic4ppc v6.90 to support typed variables and Subs FormExDesktop needed modifying to suit in order that cross-thread events would work in the IDE. Version 1.7 should still be used for Basic4ppc v6.80 or earlier

Version 2.0 removes need for B4PObject(1) in EnableThreadEvent and EnableThreading.

FormThreadTest.sbp in the archive needs version 3.0 of the Threading library.

Version 1.7 of FormExDesktop is still available here for use with Basic4ppc v6.80 or earlier.

Attachments

• FormExDesktop2.0.zip
    119.6 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

berndgoedecke

Licensed User
Longtime User
Activate MDIChild ?

Hello Agraham,
is it possible to have an Activate MDIChild Function?
sitajony wrote a Library to fire Mouse events and it work also with FormExDesktop, but only in the activated MDIChild.
I have a Menue in one MDIChild and another MDIChild that needs a MouseEvent to be Updated.
Or is it possible to have an ActiveMDIChild I/O property?

Best Regards

berndgoedecke

BPak

Licensed User
Longtime User
ShowModal question

Andrew,

I am working through the DesktopEX Library you have on this forum

I click my menu option 'Import Meeting' and I get the ShowModal to display a window in another module. Shows u correct the first time.

Then if I close the window and try to reopen it again it shows up but the controls do not display the second time.

from the Main Module
B4X:
Sub ImportMnu_Click
   Import.OpenImport
End Sub

The other module..
HTML:
Sub Globals
   'Declare the global variables here.

End Sub

Public Sub OpenImport
   ' inherit an existing forms' size control and menus
   FormExImport.New1("ImportDlg")

FormExImport.StartPosition = 1 ' start at specified location on screen

FormExImport.MaximumHeight = 300
   FormExImport.MaximumWidth = 450
   FormExImport.MinimumHeight = 290
   FormExImport.MinimumWidth = 450

FormExImport.HasMaximizeBox = False
   FormExImport.HasMinimizeBox = False

FormExImport.ShowModal

'   If FormExImport.Modal = False Then
'      FormExImport.ShowModal
'   Else
'      FormExImport.Show
'   End If
End Sub

Sub FormExImport_Closing
   FormExImport.CancelClose
   FormExImport.Hide      
End Sub

Could you tell me what I am missing in this please.

Attachments

• AndWind.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 19

mjcoon

Licensed User
I'm no expert in FormExDesktop library, but maybe if you are going to avoid your FormExImport being closed by doing (as the Help suggests)
B4X:
Sub FormExImport_Closing
   FormExImport.CancelClose
   FormExImport.Hide      
End Sub

you should arrange that you do the
B4X:
FormExImport.New1("ImportDlg")

only once and not every time that OpenImport is called.

Mike.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As Mike says you are "Newing" your FormEx every time you show it which is wrong. You need only do it once when your program starts or the first time you want to show it. Newing it again destroys the old FormEx (and the controls) and there are no longer any controls on the original Form to import.

BPak

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the answer.

Understand the principle now.

Sir Isaac

"You will notice the reference to commercial use in the string returned from the About property. While I freely give permission, and indeed encourage, use of this library for personal non-profit use I feel that it is reasonable to prohibit its' use in any non-personal or commercial application without previous discussion with myself as to the conditions under which it may be used."

Dear Dr Agraham,
As I've stated before, your contribution to the project is fundamental. However, I believe such library should be a part of the product and its price, like other core libraries distributed with Basic4PPC (as long as B4P inevitably moves desktopward). My rationale behind such belief is obvious - unlike all those extra beauties (from funny-looking custom controls to media libraries and stuff) forms are constitutive elements of programming (both for code and design) in Windows, and therefore, an ordinary form management cannot be subject to any special copyright, especially within the (general-scope) language that isn't free itself. Your FormEx Desktop library (as of 2.0) doesn't contain any original controls (say, like fgControls) or custom methods (say, like Form1.PlayMP3 or anything) - it just provides an access to normal properties, events, and methods of Windows forms, like any programming language should do. Generally, that's what I personally expected of Basic4PPC (2 platforms in 1) when I was buying the license. Without any alternative to normal manipulation of (desktop) Windows forms in standard Basic4PPC tools and libraries, your distribution formula for FormEx Desktop library sounds pretty much like a fraud attempt ("Now that you've bought a car, you may want to buy an engine to it") .

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am not entirely sure of the point of your post but notice the name - Basic For Pocket PC. Erel's target was always the Compact Framework on Pocket PC and Windows Mobile devices. Erel provided a desktop interpreter for development and the fact that owing, to the retargetable capability of Compact Framework applications, those applications could run on the desktop under the full Framework was a bonus.

Desktop applications were never a target for Basic4ppc but it so happens that with some suitable tweaking to expose more desktop functionality it happens to work quite well. I don't believe that Erel intends any further development of Basic4ppc as it is not a commercial proposition for him (and he's pretty busy as well!) so I don't think it will "move deskwards" any further (except for my own private copy :)).

Sir Isaac

I am not entirely sure of the point of your post but notice the name - Basic For Pocket PC. Erel's target was always the Compact Framework on Pocket PC and Windows Mobile devices. Erel provided a desktop interpreter for development and the fact that owing, to the retargetable capability of Compact Framework applications, those applications could run on the desktop under the full Framework was a bonus.

Desktop applications were never a target for Basic4ppc but it so happens that with some suitable tweaking to expose more desktop functionality it happens to work quite well. I don't believe that Erel intends any further development of Basic4ppc as it is not a commercial proposition for him (and he's pretty busy as well!) so I don't think it will "move deskwards" any further (except for my own private copy :)).

YOUR OWN WORDS, IN SHORT (AND IN RED):

THIS LIBRARY IS NOT FREE
FOR COMMERCIAL USE

(MIND THAT THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVE TOOLS IN BASIC4PPC
FOR NORMAL MANIPULATION OF DESKTOP WINDOWS FORMS)

BASIC4PPC DOESN'T (AND NEVER INTENDED TO) SUPPORT
NORMAL DESKTOP WINDOWS PROGRAMMING

BASIC4PPC WILL NOT BE DEVELOPED ANY FURTHER

I think you should consult Erel before stating most of this.
Because this all sounds strangely enough, especially on pages of this forum (with its Basic4PPC wishlist, hundreds of libraries for both desktop and device applications, and active sales of both Android and PPC Basics).

P.S. This forum shows that you overuse the phrases "I forgot" and "I didn't get your point" (though the points are usually pretty clear, as in this particular case). In fact, you "forgot" to mention your distribution conditions for this library in the first post of this thread. Smart, isn't it? Customers who are thinking of buying Basic4PPC would never guess that one of the most necessary desktop libraries is not free (until they buy the product).

Last edited:

Sir Isaac

My, what a chip we seem to have on our shoulder about something.

By the way, about my intellectual property I have no need to consult Erel about anything. Good-bye.

Such cheeky answers is a clear token of fraud to me. Probably, you'd better tell my lawyer about that chip. And now just remind me since what time did standard Windows Form properties, methods, and events become "your intellectual property", Dr Agraham? :D And why should I pay twice (to 2 independent developers) for having a normal access to them in one commercial programming language?

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that you are confused.
Agraham (like all other developers) is completely entitled to develop commercial libraries.

If you are not satisfied with the library or its license then you should not use it.

And why should I pay twice (to 2 independent developers) for having a normal access to them in one commercial programming language?
This is not relevant. Agraham is not affiliated with Anywhere Software.
You should point this question to me.

Note that we offer full money back guarantee for 30 days.

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
Such cheeky answers is a clear token of fraud to me. Probably, you'd better tell my lawyer about that chip. And now just remind me since what time did standard Windows Form properties, methods, and events become "your intellectual property", Dr Agraham? :D And why should I pay twice (to 2 independent developers) for having a normal access to them in one commercial programming language?

I too have supplied libraries to this forum.
These are available to registered members, people who bought the software.
If I put a disclaimer in my libraries asking they not be used in commercial products, then that is my choice. I wrote the library, my creation.
The publication of that library on this forum is part proof of my copyright over it. If I decide to allow users to use it in commercial apps, at a price, that is my choice.

I'm disgusted at Isaac's posts to agraham on this thread.
agraham has been 'the' major contributer on this forum along side Erel since it's creation. His time, effort and dedication to B4PPC alone deserve him respect of huge proportions !!
How someone can come on here after 21 posts and spout such cr** is beyond me.

'My lawyer', 'fraud', 'paying twice', get a life mate.
I've dealt with bigger lawyers than yours over copyright stuff, believe me.
If they can claim intelectual copyright, so can we.

The product you bought doesn't have certain capabilities.
Using 2nd party products it does. As long as you are prepared to follow the 2nd party T&C's

Please don't delete this post Erel, I'd like other members to read it and get a reality check.
Members create libraries in their own time, their own effort, just to give a greater use of your software to others.

lqg2118

Licensed User
Longtime User

if your had developed a good private copy,share it with me,haha!