Fraudulent Purchases

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All,

Is it just me or are you also finding that you are getting a lot of 'Rejected' purchases in Google Wallet when people purchase your apps ?

Recently I have been getting a lot of 'Rejected' purchases.

I would understand if I got one here and there, but I seem to get a heap at once for the past month and wondering if anyone else has been getting this as well?

upload_2015-7-12_21-0-7.png

upload_2015-7-12_21-2-41.png

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Arronk,
A little more explanation because I am so familiar with these things..
What's "Rejected" and "Cancelled"? are they after download or before download? If before download then I think you shouldn't be very concerned..
Also check your list of countries and you may need to remove high risk countries (Google a little bit for 'credit card high risk countries').

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
What's "Rejected" and "Cancelled"? are they after download or before download? If before download then I think you shouldn't be very concerned..
I think the 'Rejected' is before they purchase the app. I think Google found the credit card (or method of payment) Fraudulent and cancelled the transaction.
'Cancelled' would mean that the end user has decided to cancel the transaction or pressed the 'refund' button in Google Play for that app.

I have had my app on Google play for approx. 2 years and about 6 months ago had 1 'Rejected' purchase but recently I have been getting like 5-6 at a time over the past month.

Normally if the user tries to purchase the app with a expired credit card then it would come up saying it was cancelled as the credit card ending in xxxx has expired etc.

Maybe the end user trying to purchase my app is trying to purchase it with a credit card that is stolen or Google found that credit card in the past is ripping people off somehow?

for paid apps, a user can ask for refund within first 15 mins of purchase.
I think this has now changed to 2 hours rather than 15 minutes.

I think originally it was 24 hours but then developers said that is far to long, so they changed it to 15 minutes. Then end users said that isn't long enough so now they make it 2 hours.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/134336?hl=en

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In two hours you can copy the apk file and then ask for refund..

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
In two hours you can copy the apk file and then ask for refund..
You could also do this in 15 minutes as well.

But if you use the Google licencing library then it will make it a little harder to run the app after the refund has been made.

I also now notice that with most of the 'Cancelled' item in my Google Wallet it is because of Google AdWords.
Funny thing is that I don't use Google AdWords. Everything was running smoothly for the past 2 or so years but now am getting 'Rejected' or 'Cancelled' purchases.

If I click on a 'Cancelled' purchase then it comes up saying:

upload_2015-7-13_13-50-39.png

I never cancelled the order, so Google AdWords somehow cancelled the order, even knowing I don't use Google AdWords.

I have contacted Google trying to find out why this is happening and seem to be going around and around in circles with Google trying to work this one out.
Called Google Play support.. no you need to contact Google AdWord... no you need to call Google Wallet since it's a payment issue.. no you need to contact Google Play Support.. no you need to contact Google AdWords..
Google AdWords has now told me to send a email to them to show them the screenshot of the issue and now waiting to hear back from them..

I wonder who I need to contact next..

Amazing I am the only one with this issue.. No one else having this issue with there paid apps ?