From VB6 to B4A, skipping VB.Net

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think you mean B4J ?

Uhm... my usual problem with English?

I mean it seems to me that many members have passed directly from VB6 to B4A, having never used VB.Net or having used it a little.

For this I wonder if these developers are people who had abandoned the development and then they have re-started skipping the VB.Net.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
once again, aren't you confusing it with B4J? B4J is to make desktop applications like VB6 & .NET do.

You can't compare B4A with VB6/.NET since it's a totaly different OS scope.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Again, no, I'm not confusing B4A with B4J :).

I mean (I try, sigh) I suppose that many members have used VB6 for their applications (desktop), then they have abandoned the development for a while 'time, without learning VB.Net (or other new languages)-

Then began the era of mobile devices, they have begun to develop in this area.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Luca,
I see your point is clear.
When MS departed from Visual Basic to a.net, I was one of those who stayed with vb6. I didn't stop programming though, because MS Windows is still supporting VB6 and my customers are small businesses. Erel was more smart than B. Gates, because he put on the home page a banner saying that b4a is the simplest language develop with mobile apps, while MS told us to forget the way we were programming using vb6. That was a big psychological block MS put by themselves between me and .net. but I discovered later that Erel wrapped .net in a nice box and sold it to us as b4a.
Believe me, if he named it .net4android the I wouldn't return to the website.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm more an occasional forms programmer, I tend to use VB6 aswell just because it starts and compiles way faster than everything that came after it.

But sometimes you have no other options to use VB2010/2013 since a lot of stuff that now is "normal" is missing in VB6.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm more an occasional forms programmer, I tend to use VB6 aswell just because it starts and compiles way faster than everything that came after it.

But sometimes you have no other options to use VB2010/2013 since a lot of stuff that now is "normal" is missing in VB6.

I was beginning to affect LightSwitch (ehm, actually, I was interested in building something like that).

I must say that, even in this environment, B4A, you could develop a tool to generate code (it is my "dream" to be a bit 'of time, but for now I limit myself ... to write stupid things, rather than developing :p)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
maybe you want to do things that are too advanced for the skills that you currently have?

coding takes a lot of time and practice.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
once again, aren't you confusing it with B4J? B4J is to make desktop applications like VB6 & .NET do.

You can't compare B4A with VB6/.NET since it's a totaly different OS scope.

Actually, you can. B4a and B4J are both based on Basic. VB is Visual Basic.

socialnetis

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys, what is the difference between VB6 and VB.net, i thought that vb.net is just an evolution of VB6 (like java 8 and java 7, or all java < 8).

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I meant the compiling OS scope. VB/.NET are not meant to compile to Android.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
.NET is framework based. VB6 isn't.

the difference? well, with the .NET stuff a lot of it is available in the framework so EXE's might be smaller.

and it's said that it should compile to the same EXE when you code the exact same thing in VB.NET or C# since that framework is somehow inbetween (like the EXE is some sort of tokenized thing like java is)

not sure if it's 100% right tho as I'm not an expert.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is even possible to develop a project ("Solution") consisting of a VB.NET project and a C# project (and other languages of the framework) and compile them into a single exe.

However, the differences between VB6 and VBnet are lots and big; I would say that only the base remains. There is less difference between VB6 and B4A!

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
maybe you want to do things that are too advanced for the skills that you currently have?

coding takes a lot of time and practice.

My skill is what it is, at my age take new steps began to be tiring.

I gave up the idea of creating a development tool similar to LightSwitch, but when I discovered the new features of Access (in particular its models), I still had Access 97(!!!) I abandoned this idea.

But I'd like to develop something similar for B4A (uhm I'm remembering now that someone pointed out to me that there is an app on the market which allows you to instantly create your own db and the GUI to manage them. I mean, however, something for PC, that allows to develop apps faster, generating B4A source code. The biggest problem is the Designer).

Well, I will develop my game or anything, in the next period.

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
too bad for you that M$ decided to give up ACCESS :)

it's a nice tool, I learned about it too late actually because I quickly skipped it ('99?) because MSSQL was more suitable for my intranet projects.

You could create "real apps" in it which I was not aware of and I just used it to store data.

For the code generation you are lucky that the B4A files are plain text so it's easy to implement.
The problem there is that modular code barely does what someone wants so extra coding is always required.
But you could create a drag & drop system like VB6 has for the controls and that it inserts the initialise and other things in the code already (which B4A is lacking at the mo for some views)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I wanted to automate both the creation of the db (asking the user/programmer to choose fields also of type Email, Address, Phone, etc) but also the GUI (creating the layout, not the code).

It's clear that the programmer then would make other changes.