Galaxy Nexus and Ice cream Sandwich support

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm running some of my demo apps. on Ice Cream sandwich (ICS is also released for Nexus S) on a Galaxy Nexus and i'm wondering on how to use the new ICS styling.

I thought tabs would transform into the new style but that isn't the case. It seems there are new views in ICS but i'm not sure.

Need to run a few demo's to see what needs to be done to get a ICS styling into apps.

Cheers,

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

Sure, will do a.s.a.p. Main challenge is how ICS uses these kind of tabs (see sliding through apps.).

I think overall it will be fine and will just need to do some more testing.

Cheers,

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

Did some testing and indeed it seems things like Inputlist do not support the new styling. I compiled with the latest API.

Maybe you can try.

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, cannot create a screenshot right now because of a problem with the tools.

The new styling is in your phone too :) Pick for example a ringtone etc. You must know what I mean because you have the same phone so it is obvious.

All is changed to this blue text, dark background and much more slick styling.

Use any "old" B4A apps., create an inputlist or whatever and you see it does not inherit the ICS features. I even compiled with the latest API.

Cheers,

Upvote 0

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
@bluedude, can't you take screenshots on Galaxy Nexus simply by pressing Power and Volume down buttons together?

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Inman,

I don't see the need to do it, it's so obvious ICS changed a lot. I mean, run a B4A app. and you see the difference in for example an inputlist.

The blue UI is everywhere, isn't it?

If I have some time I will make a few screenshots.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Screenshots ICS inputlist vs B4A inputlist on Galaxy Nexus

Hereby the requested screenshots. I say beforehand, maybe I do something completely wrong. It seems to me that B4A appa are not completely adapting to the new ICS style. On top of that I don't know what to expect, should tabs transform to the new ICS tabs etc.?

It is becoming relevant since recently more phones have received Ice Cream Sandwich.

Cheers,

Attachments

• preference_activity.jpg
    preference_activity.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 313
  • ringtone_inputlist.jpg
    ringtone_inputlist.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 283
  • b4a_inputlist.jpg
    b4a_inputlist.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, as always you are right and I'm stupid :) Works!

However, this brings me to a wishlist item: http://www.b4x.com/forum/bugs-wishl...much-more-easier-custom-entries-manifest.html

I really think there is a more elegant way to handle the manifest overwrite problem. It gives me problems all the time because sometimes I forget to add stuff etc.

Like this situation, would be nice to have a target SDK option etc. Please take a look at my proposal.

Cheers,

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Cool :)

I tried by adding target-version on my app and noted that it still shows correctly in Gingerbread and also adapts to ICS-style. If I apply target-version = 14 from now on, should I be aware of any drawbacks or can I do it without any problems?

BTW: in the screenshot I'm attaching, is the edit-text supposed to be so dark in ICS?

You should modify the manifest file and set that targetSdkVersion to 14. Your application will still be supported by older versions.
B4X:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="4" android:targetSdkVersion="14"/>

Attachments

• settingsICS_2.jpg
    settingsICS_2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't expect any issues with setting targetSdkVersion to 14. You can see the description of this property here: <uses-sdk> | Android Developers

in the screenshot I'm attaching, is the edit-text supposed to be so dark in ICS?
The EditText uses the default style so it is probably supposed to look like that.

Upvote 0