Small dev. tip for Ice Cream Sandwich

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

A small tip for people running on ICS. I just took one of my old apps. to run on ICS and I noticed the Tabhost can be an issue. The texts that display scrolling on older Android versions don't do this anymore on ICS and thus you have less text available.

I'm planning to do a dummy demo with all controls to see what the implications are. Also noticed my menu is gone but need to see why that is.

Cheers,

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just some comments after testing ICS (4.03) on the emulator:

I noted that in my tab-hosts the icons are not being displayed anymore :sign0094:

Also the activity-title is huge and eats a lot of space :BangHead:

and isn't ICS supposed to have software-buttons (instead of hardware-buttons) at the bottom of the screen? Will this eat even more space??

Add: the menu is still there (centered somehow but the text is displayed on the far left) ???
Add2: also the FastScroll seems disabled in listviews or at least I cannot see appearing anylonger that "tool-thing" to drag up and down on the right-hand side of the listview.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

If you us the target SDK the Tabhost looks different. You sample displays Tabhost in the old style.

I love the new ICS style BTW and just need to change the tabhosts because they are displayed without icons and the text needs to be smaller because they won't scroll anymore.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I read that swiping (one of the important features of ICS) should be possible horizontally betwen tabs. I tried it on the emulator bit it does not work. Bludude can you test on your real device?

Upvote 0