Android Question Getting "Too many field references to fit in one dex file" after reinstalling SDKs

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by JohnC, Aug 20, 2019.

1. JohnC

JohnC Well-Known Member Licensed User

I reinstalled my SDKs to fix an Emulator problem.

Then I got Androidx related issues because I am using b4A 9.01 and the "References.zip" file seems to be designed to work with v9.3.

I do not want to upgrade to 9.3 at this time out of concern there will be "new " problems I will have ot spend time fixing.

So, I downloaded the "Ready To Run SDK" zip file from this page for the older "8.0+" versions of B4A:

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/ready-to-run-sdk.99780/

I then did the download of recommended SDK's using the SDK manager.

Now, when I try to compile my app, I am getting this error:

Code:
    trouble writing output: Too many field references to fit in one dex file72281max is 65536.
    You may 
    try using multi-dex. If multi-dex is enabled then the list of classes for the main dex list is too large.
    Since I did not have this error before I reinstalled the SDK, I don't want to use the #MultiDex: True flag because of "Don't use this feature if not needed. Compilation will be a bit slower and there are no benefits."

So, what is causing this error all of the sudden and how can I fix it other then the flag?

(P.S. I do not want to upgrade to B4A 9.3 just yet)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice