GPS Problems

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by SteveBuckley, Jul 9, 2009.

1. SteveBuckley

SteveBuckley Member Licensed User

Hi,

I am very new at all this. I am trying to write a simple GPS application. I started using the demo example but when I get a connection the code line:
    GPS1.GPSStream(Serial1.InputString)
    causes an OutOfMemoryException error (continue Yes/No MsgBox).
    I am using a XDA (O2) PDA phone. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Regards
    Steve

2. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

I assume you are using the GPS and Serial2 libraries. As it's an XDA it is probably a rebadged HTC which isn't compatible with the .NET Serial Port class. Read the sorry tale here http://www.basic4ppc.com/forum/questions-help-needed/972-gps-outofmemoryexception-since-wm6.html

If it is a WM5.0 or later device then you need to use the GPSDriver library instead.

Questions and Help would probably have been a better topic to post in but Erel can move the thread there if he wants too!

3. SteveBuckley

SteveBuckley Member Licensed User

agraham,

Many thanks for your slightly curt but never the less extremely helpful response.
    As I said "I am very new at all this". Anyway I have now made contact with my
    GPS device.

4. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

Ref. Chambers Dictionary - "Short" and "concise" intended as I answer a lot of question here. "Discourteously brief" certainly not intended.

5. taximania

taximania Well-Known Member Licensed User

Not wanting to sound 'curt' myself.
    Welcome to the forum Steve :sign0060:

Don't 'fall out' with AGraham.
    You will find he's your best friend :icon_clap:

6. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

BTW, we have a new documentation center section which includes several tutorials and can help you get started.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice