B4R Question GPS & sim

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I am unclear about something. Lets Say I want to track a device (let's say a car) . I think I need a GPS module but how can I track the car with the gps module only ? is it possible or do I also need a simcard or stg similar to track it? sorry for the dumb question but I can't understand how tracking a car is possible ?

Ty

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
There are devices designed to do this. You fit a SIM in them then you can dial them up and get their location. Some even allow listening to sound around the device!
Search on EBAY! They are very inexpensive

Upvote 0

thetahsk

Licensed User
Longtime User
There are so called "GPS Trackers" for children, dogs and vehicles on the market.
Search for GPS Tracker, and you will find devices for less then 40 $.

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My purpose is to create a small device that can be attachable to some bikes,cars,scooters etc. I need to develop my own app and own trackers.
There are so called "GPS Trackers" for children, dogs and vehicles on the market.
Search for GPS Tracker, and you will find devices for less then 40 $.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would go with the tracker... Buy a few an thinker with them to see if any of then can have it's firmware changed.. and then "own" them...
Also, you could approach some Chinese manufacturers and scout for small production units... And you would do the software part.

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am a bit lost here. First of all, what I don't understand is,
1) this ready to go trackers can't be using a simcard to transmit data, if it is using a sim card how do they obtain the sim, from which and how is that company able to provide service in all other countries also are they subscribing to a service provider for each sim card used gps tracker ?
2) if they are not using a simcard, how do they transmit the location data to their app ?

Sorry if the questions are dumb but I am too amateur
at this topic.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
1) this ready to go trackers can't be using a simcard to transmit data,
Why not? It can, and it does.
if it is using a sim card how do they obtain the sim
In Australia, we just go to the local post office or 7-Eleven or supermarket or... anywhere, it seems. $2 gets an empty SIM, $5 at Aldi gets a SIM with $5 credit.

GPRS is a slow data connection to the internet, via the SIM provider's mobile/cellular network. So if you have GPRS, you can send data to any internet-connected computer in the world, same as you and I can do from our computers to this B4X forum server (seemingly physically located in Michigan, USA).
how is that company able to provide service in all other countries also
You can buy a SIM card pretty much anywhere. I have done so in the US, Netherlands, England, France, Switzerland. And used some of those SIMs in other countries again, albeit at exorbitant rates.
2) if they are not using a simcard, how do they transmit the location data to their app ?
They are using a SIM card, thus this question is moot.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
upload_2019-7-9_19-48-59.png

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just to clarify, the SIM is the final customers to buy and install in the tracker.
The trackers sold online come with NO SIM pre-installed!

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I got it now. Thanks for the answers guys! Ready-to-go trackers are a question mark because of the custom firmware thing. I need to get the data to my own app so I am thinking of using a sim900 module but I think I need to add a gps module as said in post 2

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I am thinking of using a sim900 module but I think I need to add a gps module as said in post 2
Depending on your application, perhaps consider using a small cheap android phone as the tracker, or as a development bed. Has advantages:

- price (there are always phones on special here for $29, and often less: I bought 4 a few months back at $14.50)
- speaker (eg, for out-of-area alerts)
- accelerometers (eg, fall detection, acceleration, braking, impact)
- camera (eg, as a dash cam)
- flexibility, via programming with B4A
- supply continuity (vs trying to get compatible modules six months from now)
- flexible interface via touch screen

Disadvantages:

- size
- overkill

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Depending on your application, perhaps consider using a small cheap android phone as the tracker, or as a development bed. Has advantages:

- price (there are always phones on special here for $29, and often less: I bought 4 a few months back at $14.50)
- speaker (eg, for out-of-area alerts)
- accelerometers (eg, fall detection, acceleration, braking, impact)
- camera (eg, as a dash cam)
- flexibility, via programming with B4A
- supply continuity (vs trying to get compatible modules six months from now)
- flexible interface via touch screen

Disadvantages:

- size
- overkill

I need to implement it to a fleet so it will be too expensive and inefficient :(

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I need to implement it to a fleet so it will be too expensive and inefficient :(

Automotive vehicles? If so, then it shouldn't be that difficult, since powering and space shouldn't be a problem, yet antenna placement is, since a car is pretty much a Faraday's Cage. I would go with a bumper located (it's only plastic) esp32 + gsm900 module.

Upvote 0