Android Question Has anyone paid for the PennyPress Basic4Android pdf book yet?

gawie007

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have ordered the book from PennyPress and there is no link to download it.
I have also ordered the hardcopy through Amazon.
It is due later this month but the document that comes with the order says to refer to the initial e-mail.

Perhaps someone on here could shed some light on this?

Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You should contact the seller. If they dont answer your ticket you should contact PayPal to get your money back.

Upvote 0

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Gavin,

Sorry that nobody replied to your earlier message. I've checked but been unable to find it. I wonder who you sent it to?

The book is due to be published on 21 October. When you purchased the book from the Penny Press site, you should have received several emails, one of which informed you that you could track your order (and hence download your ebook) from

http://www.pennypress.co.uk/store.html#ecwid:mode=orders

You should be able to find the link to download the book from there on 21st.

Please contact me if you have any more questions at [email protected]

Regards,

Upvote 0

gawie007

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Phil,
Thank you for your response.
I have sent you what I have in a direct e-mail.

Upvote 0

bobsimoneau

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Gavin,

Sorry that nobody replied to your earlier message. I've checked but been unable to find it. I wonder who you sent it to?

The book is due to be published on 21 October. When you purchased the book from the Penny Press site, you should have received several emails, one of which informed you that you could track your order (and hence download your ebook) from

http://www.pennypress.co.uk/store.html#ecwid:mode=orders

You should be able to find the link to download the book from there on 21st.

Please contact me if you have any more questions at [email protected]

Regards,

I must have mis-understood. I went to the link you provided to Garvin above, and sure enough I could get the e-book I purchased now. Thanks

Upvote 0

gawie007

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi bobsimoneau,

I just went and clicked on the link above and just got the store front with all their books. No link to download or anything?

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is my order confirmation.
Got the PDF downloaded. - Looks Great!!!!
Now, can't wait for the hard copy to have and hold...
Probably the second best purchase made recently - next to B4A itself!

Heys guys - pre-order now - only 3 days left!

Order Number: xxx
Order Date: Oct 17, 2013 07:14 PM BST

Dear customer,

Thank you for your purchase at Penny Press Store.

This e-mail contains important information. Therefore we recommend
that you make a backup of this e-mail.

You can download the files using the following links:

1. Basic4Android - Half Price Pre-Publication Offer
SKU 9781871281200

Upvote 0

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
The full version of the pdf, mobi and epub book are now downloadable by people who purchased at the pre-publication price.
You should be able to use the following link to download the book, provided you created an account:

http://www.pennypress.co.uk/store/#!/~/orders/offset=0

If that does not work, please let me know, quoting your order number and which version you want, and I will email it to you.

People who ordered the printed version before today should note the following:

http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/th...-printed-version-of-basic4android-book.33571/

Any future orders for printed books will not contain these errors, and I will send replacements to people who have faulty printed copies.

Upvote 0

gawie007

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had minor issues trying to download the book - I think because I didn't register on the website's store.

Needless to say, Phil at Penny Press has ensured that I was looked after and gets a deserved

for his excellent service!

Upvote 0

Toley

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also got the book today. At first view it looks very well written and easy to follow. There is even reference to v3.0 which just come out. It's a great reference book thanks a lot Philip and congratulation, wish you sold a bunch of them :)

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the gold medal.. * * * * *
Are the example programs on CD or can be downloadable from somewhere, or must type them?
I am asking because you mentioned that a demo version of B4A is available, so I thought the hardcopy
is Book-CD.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
2.11 Publishing and Monetizing Your App

Since I have not yet submitted an app to Play Store, I find this section of particular interest.
It covers the details of what you must do (after paying 25 bucks) to successfully publish you (paid or free) app to Google - and other sites.

Very well written - This book could have been a "B4A for Dummies" edition! I certainly qualify.

Here is an example of a tidbit that I did not know (and have encountered on many occasions):

Rank
You might sometimes see a compile-time error such as:
Cannot cast type: {Type=Int,Rank=0} to: {Type=Int,Rank=1}
Rank=0 is a simple variable, Rank=1 means an array.

Fact is - the book is filled with gems like this. Answers to questions that I can not find elsewhere, even after exhaustive search of the forum.

Thanks for this valuable resource. I can see future posts answering questions as: "Refer to page "x" of book for answer to your question".

Upvote 0

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the gold medal.. * * * * *
Are the example programs on CD or can be downloadable from somewhere, or must type them?
I am asking because you mentioned that a demo version of B4A is available, so I thought the hardcopy
is Book-CD.

Hi Beja,

Many of the example programs referenced in the book are available from the book's resource page at

http://resources.basic4android.info/

However not all the code in the book is there. Sounds like a good idea, and over the next day or so we will put a copy of all the book's main embedded code samples onto that site.

Regards,

Upvote 0

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Since I have not yet submitted an app to Play Store, I find this section of particular interest.
It covers the details of what you must do (after paying 25 bucks) to successfully publish you (paid or free) app to Google - and other sites.

Very well written - This book could have been a "B4A for Dummies" edition! I certainly qualify.

Here is an example of a tidbit that I did not know (and have encountered on many occasions):

Fact is - the book is filled with gems like this. Answers to questions that I can not find elsewhere, even after exhaustive search of the forum.

Thanks for this valuable resource. I can see future posts answering questions as: "Refer to page "x" of book for answer to your question".

Hi Harris,

You know, this makes it all worthwhile. Thanks very much!

Upvote 0

jag

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I'm new to B4A, and am very interested in purchasing the book.
Payment choices offered are CC, ECheck, or PayPal, but they *all*
take me to a PayPal page, where I must use an existing PP account,
or sign up for one, to make payment.

Is this the only option? I don't have a PayPal account, and would
prefer not to have one. `

John

Upvote 0