Android Question Has anyone paid for the PennyPress Basic4Android pdf book yet?

gawie007

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have ordered the book from PennyPress and there is no link to download it.
I have also ordered the hardcopy through Amazon.
It is due later this month but the document that comes with the order says to refer to the initial e-mail.

Perhaps someone on here could shed some light on this?

Last edited:

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I'm new to B4A, and am very interested in purchasing the book.
Payment choices offered are CC, ECheck, or PayPal, but they *all*
take me to a PayPal page, where I must use an existing PP account,
or sign up for one, to make payment.

Is this the only option? I don't have a PayPal account, and would
prefer not to have one. `

John

Hi John,

No, if you want to pay by credit or debit card, you don't need to create a Paypal account. You can click on "Don't have a Paypal account?" and go to a page where you can enter your credit card number without creating an account.

Regards,

Last edited:
Reactions: jag
Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just a wee bit confusing...

My CIBC Debit Card has a VISA logo on it. The ONLY place I can use this as a VISA is with PayPal. I registered this card with them as a Debit Visa.
Helps with PayPal but everywhere else they assume it is a VISA card (so I keep my thumb over the VISA logo when I expose it to the teller).

At times, very annoying...

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Is the eBook and hard copy the exact same?

No, the ebook is electronic format while the hard copy is printed on paper...

As a smartass, I just had to do that.... (but I was set up).

Upvote 0

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought there would be a smartass that would say that.. But I was hoping for the best there wasn't one.

The reason I ask is that I have brought the eBook version but on Amazon the hard copy shows a index and table of contents but the eBook doesn't have that.

Before I get another smartass, I guess I could just use Ctrl+F to search for what I am looking for but I rather a index or table of contents.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, it had to happen - I was chosen.

I won't know until I get my hard copy by mail if they differ.

With any luck, the e version will be updated with corrections and new content as things progress.

Upvote 0

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
aaronk .. if it is any help , I have downloaded the ePub and Pdf Version . Both have Table of Contents section.

Personally I use Calibre ,a free windows desktop program for my eBook needs. (libraries,formatting and much more) http://calibre-ebook.com/

Cheers mj

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Must open a paypal account.. pls check screenshot

Attachments

• paypal.jpg
    paypal.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 0

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Is the eBook and hard copy the exact same?

Hi aaronk,

The text of the electronic and paperback books are substantially the same. The differences are:

• The electronic versions have no index: an index would not work since page numbers don't have any meaning in electronic editions. It is assumed readers will be able to easily search the text using their reader's search facility.
  • The paper version lacks the hyperlinks which the electronic versions have, but instead it has page number links (if the target is more than 2 pages away).
  • The electronic versions have an electronic table of contents which is more extensive than the brief table of contents in the paper version.
Apart from this the paper and electronic versions are identical.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Phil,
I did buy a copy, I lost a few bucks though ;)..

will I receive email with download instructions?

Edit: Now got all links in the email..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Phil,
I did buy a copy, I lost a few bucks though ;)..

will I receive email with download instructions?

Hi Beja,

Sorry you missed the full 50% discount.
You should receive an email with the title "Penny Press Store: download files (order nnn)"
If you don't please email [email protected] with your order number and we will send you the links.

Upvote 0

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi aaronk,

The text of the electronic and paperback books are substantially the same. The differences are:

• The electronic versions have no index: an index would not work since page numbers don't have any meaning in electronic editions. It is assumed readers will be able to easily search the text using their reader's search facility.
  • The paper version lacks the hyperlinks which the electronic versions have, but instead it has page number links (if the target is more than 2 pages away).
  • The electronic versions have an electronic table of contents which is more extensive than the brief table of contents in the paper version.
Apart from this the paper and electronic versions are identical.

I would of liked to have the table of contents and index in the eBook version as well rather than using the built in electronic reader contents and search.

Upvote 0

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would of liked to have the table of contents and index in the eBook version as well rather than using the built in electronic reader contents and search.

HI aaronk,

Sorry, but an index just would not work for an electronic book. Page numbers don't have any meaning in an electronic reader, since the user can change the font size and so the pages change. (Admittedly, in the PDF version the page numbers are fixed, but the same text is required for all electronic versions, otherwise we would have to publish them all as different books, which could get complicated!)

Regarding table of contents, all the electronic versions contain a table of contents which is actually a lot more detailed than that in the paper version, but for the pdf you need to use your reader to access it. For the mobi and epub editions, the detailed table of contents is at the bottom of the document.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eric H

Licensed User
Longtime User
I purchased the electronic copy and am wondering if I can 'upgrade' to the print version, and how much it would cost?

Thanks, and great job on the book! I had a quick look through it and would love to sit down and tear through it.

Upvote 0

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Eric,

This sounds like a good idea. I'll do some maths and let you know.

I purchased the electronic copy and am wondering if I can 'upgrade' to the print version, and how much it would cost?

Thanks, and great job on the book! I had a quick look through it and would love to sit down and tear through it.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Eric H said:

Hi Eric,

This sounds like a good idea. I'll do some maths and let you know.

Yep, I would be interested in this option as well. I bought the electronic version too.

Upvote 0