Android Question Having setup problems.

Emmy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello, I just purchased b4a and i am having some issues setting it up. I think that the 7 minute to run first application should be changed, its not true. And i am not angry, just saying.

Only the downloads took 3 minutes, installation another 3 minutes. And It's been around 30 minutes and i am still waiting for the Android SDK manager to finish downlaoding who knows what. Well, I am still trying to figure out how to compile my first app.

There is not a help file with a supported command list (at least not one esy to find).

The tutorials are outdated, and the step-by-step guides are different to the newest versions one can download. I cant create my first AVD (OK button is grayed with the message no CPU/AVI available for this target).

The installer should include a working version of the SDK (no matter if it is outdated as long as it fits the step-by-step tutorials).

Anyway, what can i do to get all of this working? Is there an up-to-date setup tutorial?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello udg, yes, i am on it. Thanks.

Android SDK is still downloading stuff, so, i went ahead and started reading that.
The pictures are different but i will try once everything is downloaded.

Just a question... im not sure... b4a is capable of compiling advanced games?

Thx!

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Emmy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks! I will take a look at that. Im eager to start playing with it to create games.

I am not a game developer either, i am a windows developer, in fact, I was creating
a BASIC compiler for android as well (I have created several BASIC compilers for
several platforms), i might finish it later, but i kind of want to develop a game now.

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@lemonisdead : two likes in a row..my wife is getting jealous

@Emmy : another member's name to recall and keep in high regard.. lemonisdead (this could lead to the third like in a row.. eh eh)

Well, my dinner is ready. If I don't come on line on the next few days it was for venom in my meal

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that the 7 minute to run first application should be changed, its not true.
The 7 minutes (which is a bit stretch) is for remote compilation mode. In that mode you don't need to install Android SDK.

I recommend you to avoid using the Android emulator at all. It is slow and unreliable.

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,
you know that I already stated that B4x tools got us from the RAD (Rapid Application Development) era to the BFD (Blazingly Fast Development) one.
I could write my first app in no time after installation while, honestly, my last BASIC program was written using QuickBasic 1.0 ! (oops, I guess that this last one makes me an ex-teenager )
Usually, the most difficult part is to find the right spot through all the docs and threads in the forum, but here a fantastic community is always of great help.
BTW, I am not writing this because we're close to Xmas and we're all expected to be kinder..it's simply the truth as anyone here experienced by himself.

Umberto

Upvote 0

Emmy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the clarification Erel, for a new user a remote compilation is very obscure, one comes with the paradigm that the android SDK is absolutely required and cannot imagine there is such feature in b4a. Great feature BTW, although in this paranoic days i wonder how many people will use it.

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…