Hello community

Bas Hamstra

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am new to Android programming, and XML and Intents drive me nuts. As well as having to monitor 100 files for a simple hellow app. So I am interested in B4A. My questions:

- Is it stable enough? Rock stable?
- Is it as fast as Eclipse generated apps?
- What are the disadvantages compared to eclipse? What can it NOT do?
- I noticed I cannot run the HTTP utils example, and cannot access the tutorial src. Can I access all sources/libs when I buy it?

Best regards,

Bas Hamstra

stefanobusetto

Licensed User
Longtime User
As far as i've used b4a is a very good product .
To know how fast is compared with a java app may be you have to ask Erel.
There are many libraries and you can write new ones by yourself in java.
If you purchase the product you'll get access to all the additional libraries.
:)

Upvote 0

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
From what I can tell your code is converted to JAVA, so you'd be comparing JAVA to JAVA. There might be some overhead for the framework to allow your BASIC code to operate how you expect, but I notice no speed differences compared to other apps on my device.

The IDE is much nicer and smooth too (I think I heard him say it was wrote in .NET which compared to other .NET apps it is very fast). Eclipse as an IDE is horrible, bloated, and slow. Other tools built off of it are bloated and slow too. I love Jetbrains tools for .NET, and when they announced PHP Storm I was excited until I downloaded the 100MB+ bloated piece of garbage. Ended up going with PHP Designer and was considering WeBuilder, but didn't like their license model and constant sales. Most editors and tools I use and like tend to be wrote in Delphi or .NET. JAVA is supposed to be light and compact, but they ruin it by making a monster like that and expecting developers to use it to program.

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
- Is it stable enough? Rock stable?
- Is it as fast as Eclipse generated apps?
Yes, you can get more info HERE

- What are the disadvantages compared to eclipse? What can it NOT do?
I don't think there are any disadvantages, in fact, the B4A IDE is WAY smaller than Eclipse, also, you don't have to deal with XML's (read link posted above).

- I noticed I cannot run the HTTP utils example, and cannot access the tutorial src. Can I access all sources/libs when I buy it?
The trial version doesn't allow the use of external libraries or modules, that information is also listed on the link I posted above, scroll down to FAQs.

Upvote 0

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
Plus you have 30 day money back guarantee. Buy it, you will be glad that you did.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0