Android Question Help: Additional Jar for MSSQL sqljdbc driver error

TamersTech

I have search answers on this forum on how to connect SQL azure database but unfortunately i only find an outdated one... jtds is not working anymore for sql azure... i am having hardtime connecting to sql Azure... can someone point me to the right direction?

See error for the screenshot when using MSSQL jdbc driver from their website...

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 138

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You cannot use modern (I'm pretty sure post 6) versions of MSSQL drivers with Android. If jtds does not work for you, then you have to find an alternate way of accessing your database (via Middleware)

Upvote 0

Albert Kallal

Licensed User
Thanks i will try that version first before trying middleware i have in mind...
Ok, this is a week sold. But, unfortantly, right now? the jDBC drivers from MS simply don't work. And going to Azure would make this even more difficult.

I'm not convinced that even the jtds one would work. (but I not attempted). Without a web service? Hitting that server direct - this will be not be a robust setup.
As you noted, some thing in the middle would be a way to go - even perhaps run a jdbc server that then connects to Azure would/could be a possible road. This also of course would allow you to have a fixed IP address (a often choice for security with Azure).

However, as FYI - not aware that anyone been able to get their jDBC drivers to work on Android - the jtds one does however work, but I never attempted to use them against SQL running on Azure.
R
Albert

Upvote 0

TamersTech

Actually connecting directly to sql azure is a robust solution, security is programmers responsibility. Anyways I have successfully made a middleware base on the forums using JRDC2 middleware, i customized it to a dynamic one ( means you will not compile again the system if you have changes in he connection and sql querry part). Screenshot Attach.

If anyone needs it i will be happy to share it. Maybe ill post it the forum so others like me whos searching for it can have it.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

Albert Kallal

Licensed User
Actually connecting directly to sql azure is a robust solution, security is programmers responsibility. Anyways I have successfully made a middleware base on the forums using JRDC2 middleware, i customized it to a dynamic one ( means you will not compile again the system if you have changes in he connection and sql querry part). Screenshot Attach.

If anyone needs it i will be happy to share it. Maybe ill post it the forum so others like me whos searching for it can have it.

If you telling me that you have the Microsoft jdbc driver working without a middle server or service running, and are able to do a jdbc direct connection to SQL server using the Microsoft jdbc driver as opposed to using the jtds one? yes, that is news!

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Upvote 0