Android Question Help finding a phone GPS Position

jaraiza

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I need to create a WebPage capable of showing the position on the phones on demand. How can I send a 'push' or something from a webpage, or should I keep the phones constantly sending its position?

I'm really confused about the best way to implement this...

Thanks a lot!

jaraiza

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel!

Creating the WebService is the easy part, what I can't fully understand is how I can keep updating the devices position, how can I ask the device's position.

The theory is what I don't fully understand.

The computer asks the position? How the device knows I'm asking so can I reply (that's why I asked about a push)? Or all the devices keeps sending its position constantly to the WebService (which maybe a shared hosting account cannot support, you know, "fair use practices")?

Thank you so much for enlightening me about this.

Upvote 0

jaraiza

Licensed User
Longtime User
Let the devices send their position every few minutes if the location change is significant.

Ok, and what method would you use if you're required to follow a phone in real time? Like checking a company's shipping bus?

Let's say, the client want to check where a bus (of many buses) is located, so he enters a WebPage, select the user/phone to check, and follow the trail using (I guess) Google Maps.

I'm planning using Maps once I have loc positions, but the "following" on demand part is what I'm missing in my understanding.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jaraiza

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel! That framework seems to be what I'm looking for. I'll give it a try.

Greets!

Upvote 0