B4R Question Heltec Wifi Kit 32 - how to store permanent value ?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Is it possible, from code, to permanently store information on cards of this type, Heltec wifi kit 32?
For example calibration values, or similar, that must remain stored even in the absence of board power

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
I don't think there is an eeprom in the Heltec Wifi kit 32 card
There is main flash memory that is written with the program loaded via usb
And in that area I would like to know if it is possible to write / read from program code
Or maybe you meant to tell me that it is possible to use the functions provided for eeprom memory also on the flash memory of the card?

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Almost every ESP xxxxx based boards take the expressif board as piggyback. The Expressif boards all have expressif (although it's only a few kilobytes if I'm not mistaken)

Take a good look at the chip side of your board... you should see 3 of them.
The big one is the ESP chip in smd form, another small chip, smaller in size, is your USB controller, and there should be a third, sized between the other 2, 8pin dip chip. That's the eeprom.
1412409166-1681930838.jpg

In the above photo:
Left most is the ESP, middle is eeprom, right is the USB controller

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The Heltec info says the eeprom use is deprecated and you use Preferences instead. Not tried it tho.
Preferences

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It was the 495KB write limit that made me think it wasn't eeprom as that's a lot of storage.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It was the 495k write limit that made me think it wasn't eeprom as that's a lot of storage.
ESP8266 uses an external EEPROM, maybe the ESP32 uses an "Internal" reserved space that act as one

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Probably uses some flash as it has 4MB.

Upvote 0

thetahsk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it possible, from code, to permanently store information on cards of this type, Heltec wifi kit 32?
For example calibration values, or similar, that must remain stored even in the absence of board power

Everything is explained here, use the SPIFFS Filesystem for storage.

Upvote 0