iOS Question Hosted Mac Builder

ricardo fujimoto

Licensed User
Longtime User
Please, is there a tutorial of how to test my applications with Hosted Mac Builder and without the need for a connected iPad or iPhone?

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
You are confusing two different things. The hosted mac builder compiles the project for you if you don't have a local Mac.

You must use a real iOS device when developing with B4i.

I'm having trouble understanding what seems to be a simple rule so please excuse my ignorance.

In hopes of getting some clarification:

Are you saying I must have an iOS device to test the results of a compilation because the hosted mac builder does not do that part?

Are you saying the hosted mac builder is for those of us who only have PC's at this time, and the B4i tool is for developing with Macs only? If so, my second question, under this assumption is, if I'm going to use the hosted mac builder, do I have to buy the Apple Developer license now or can I wait until I'm ready to upload my app to the Store? I do think I'll need a Mac eventually to upload to the Store.

If you need to know my situation read on:

I already have an application developed using B4a that I'd like to convert to run on iOS devices. I do not have an iOS device in my possession yet.

Can I just code and test this application (without installing it on the Apple Store) using your new development tool on a PC without buying an apple computer or getting the Apple Developers license? I don't want to invest the significant amount of money needed until I'm sure I can do what it is I want to do. When I know I can do what I want, I will get those things.

Thanks for any light you can shine into my feeble mind.
-C

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albi

Licensed User
Longtime User
you need an iOS device to test what you compile.
if you have a mac, you can write it on a PC, and then build it on your mac. If you don't have a mac, you can use the hosted builder on which to build it.

you do not need a licence until you wish to upload it to the App Store.
To test your app, you'll need a iPhone or iPad on which to build it. However, I think I saw something on the forum about a simulator, but iirc that requires a mac.

Upvote 0

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
Albi,
Thank you. I appreciate your help. Looks like my iOS development hopes are on the rocks.

Upvote 0

aardsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
So, I am clearly missing something here. I develop on a Windows PC. Like Albi above I have developed my App for Android based smartphones and it is listed on the Google Play Store. I now plan to port my app to run on iPhones and iPads. Are you saying I have to have one of these in order to test the B4I written App? My understanding from the Sales Blurb was that I could develop without needing a Mac by using the Hosted Builder Service, instead from what you are saying above I cannot proceed to to test or go to list without a Mac. So in short I have to buy or borrow both a Mac and an iPhone/iPad. I would appreciate it if you can confirm this please.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Albi

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry if i wasn't clear.
You only need an iPhone/iPad. I write B4i on a PC, then compile it using the Hosted Mac Builder directly onto my phone. I don't use a mac at all.
It was clear to me from the site that I would need an iPhone to test it.

Upvote 0

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, Not sure if your last comment was directed at me but I did read those requirements before posting my questions. Those requirements did not help me understand why or when - during which phase of development - they were needed. Because of the substantial financial burden I needed more clarification before starting a project. Thank you, and those who commented in this thread, for clearing that up.

Here's what I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong:

I need a B4i licence (go to https://www.b4x.com/store.html for price list) to write and compile using either a Mac or I can use the Hosted Mac Builder if I want to use a PC.
The Hosted Mac Builder Can be used with a Mac also, if desired.
The Hosted Mac Builder can be included with the B4i license (see pricing link above).
I must have a real iOS device (i.e.: iPhone or iPad) to test the results because there is no device emulator at this time.
I can write and compile using a Mac or PC and install directly to my iOS device Without an Apple Developers license ($99).
I Do Not need an Apple Developers license until I am ready to upload my app to the Appple Store.

This comment was updated 7/11/15 to add more clarity. I hope it worked.

- Chuck

Last edited:
Upvote 0