How active is this IDE/Community? And is B4A what i'm looking for?

Servaas

Licensed User
Hello all!

I'm a very casual VB.Net tinkerer and it's always been a fantasy to make Android apps. It would seem B4A is very much the tool for me. I won't be making the next 3D shooter, or the next VR app, but little puzzle games, or a handy little utility app I may be able to come up with.
I asked on Reddit and it would seem very little people there know or care about B4A, while this is okay, considering i'm new I don't want to invest in something that has little to no support. And by that I mean does Any update regularly? And if so does that count towards one of the two updates? And how supportive is the community? Does B4A have this? Looking over the forums I would say yes... but like most human beings I need confirmation. I'm trying out the "demo" version and once I'm positive I can use this IDE i'll most definitely purchase it.

Can anyone point me towards templates or "simple" projects (think: calculator, sensor demos, rudimentary graphics manipulation?) that would allow me to get my toes wet?

One of the things my thread in Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/androiddev/comments/5yb3p1/android_development_through_a_basic_ide/) came up with was one user mentioning the fact that a 3rd party IDE would have lesser support and there for once I do run into a problem, and I guess that depends on how deep I need to go code wise, I won't get the feedback I need to jump over the hurdle.

My first goal would be to get a little Pocketstation from back in the day working,
Chocobo World.
Its a very little game that you could play on the portable PS memory unit and while offering very little incentive, it triggered something within me that I feel like needing to replicate on my very own phone. (How cool would that be??)
Basically it's a small animation (not sure how to do it in B4A yet, but I guess bitmaps?) and you can adjust certain things... kind of like an idler game. The game plays itself but you adjust certain parameters.
At a more advanced state I would love to be able to incorporate the odometer inside the phone to convert steps taken during a day into ingame rewards.

How possible would this be in B4A? Say VERY to make me a happy man :)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was an amateur basic programmer when i first purchased b4a ( later b4i when it was released ) . Let me tell these as a person that had the same concern at the beginning :
*Today I have more than 40 apps on both android and ios market and happy with their income
*Generally, on active hours, when you ask a question here, it is answered in minutes. With my very little knowledge at the beginning , for every step i asked a question in the forum and community answered. I never heard someone say you ask too many questions or stg like that =). If community is not able to help Erel is there like a machine. I think he knows everything =)
* I write code for android for 2 months lets say than can convert it to ios in 2-3 days. This is incredible.
-With b4j i can use the similar code to create my server apps which is also wonderful.

I can say you won't regret it clearly.
Hello all!

I'm a very casual VB.Net tinkerer and it's always been a fantasy to make Android apps. It would seem B4A is very much the tool for me. I won't be making the next 3D shooter, or the next VR app, but little puzzle games, or a handy little utility app I may be able to come up with.
I asked on Reddit and it would seem very little people there know or care about B4A, while this is okay, considering i'm new I don't want to invest in something that has little to no support. And by that I mean does Any update regularly? And if so does that count towards one of the two updates? And how supportive is the community? Does B4A have this? Looking over the forums I would say yes... but like most human beings I need confirmation. I'm trying out the "demo" version and once I'm positive I can use this IDE i'll most definitely purchase it.

Can anyone point me towards templates or "simple" projects (think: calculator, sensor demos, rudimentary graphics manipulation?) that would allow me to get my toes wet?

One of the things my thread in Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/androiddev/comments/5yb3p1/android_development_through_a_basic_ide/) came up with was one user mentioning the fact that a 3rd party IDE would have lesser support and there for once I do run into a problem, and I guess that depends on how deep I need to go code wise, I won't get the feedback I need to jump over the hurdle.

My first goal would be to get a little Pocketstation from back in the day working,
Chocobo World.
Its a very little game that you could play on the portable PS memory unit and while offering very little incentive, it triggered something within me that I feel like needing to replicate on my very own phone. (How cool would that be??)
Basically it's a small animation (not sure how to do it in B4A yet, but I guess bitmaps?) and you can adjust certain things... kind of like an idler game. The game plays itself but you adjust certain parameters.
At a more advanced state I would love to be able to incorporate the odometer inside the phone to convert steps taken during a day into ingame rewards.

How possible would this be in B4A? Say VERY to make me a happy man :)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
there's also the chat where you can ask your questions code or product related. several people there have created apps/games so they can guide you aswell.

http://www.mlsoft.org/b4achat/

buying the program opens more doors aswell as you will be able to download attachments on this forum like examples of what you request in your post.