Android Question How can I create a mesh network using smartphones wifi ?

EduardoElias

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there.

The idea is to collect data on field, mostly in places where internet is difficult or commonly not accessible.

Since there are more than one smartphone I would like that getting in range of another smartphone running this service they can contact each other and synchronize collected data.

When one of the smartphone reach internet it will upload the data and tell the others that data was sent.

Preferably I want it to be transparent to the user. No need to be always clicking buttons. Of course the user is aware of this operation.

The internet upload thing I am already doing, using rest server. My question is how to communicate with each other transparently.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
My 2 cents (that means - What I would do)

Use a CKVS Server, set it up cleverly (common user names etc) and synch your data like that.

But I see Manfred was faster on the draw than me - probably a better solution with Wi-Fi direct.

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree Manfred - but he also said "When one of the smartphone reach internet it will upload the data and tell the others that data was sent." - Thats what I meant.

Upvote 0

EduardoElias

Licensed User
Longtime User

quick question before investing time on this one..... not sure if there is any type of pairing like bluetooth... but after knowing each other is it possible that with wifi direct to just transfer data between devices without user interference?

Sure needs a service running, but supposing it is there in both cases I want that when the users are close enough and the devices recognizes each other the transfer happens.

Upvote 0

walmo

Licensed User
Longtime User
quick question before investing time on this one..... not sure if there is any type of pairing like bluetooth... but after knowing each other is it possible that with wifi direct to just transfer data between devices without user interference?

Sure needs a service running, but supposing it is there in both cases I want that when the users are close enough and the devices recognizes each other the transfer happens.
Hi eelias
Did you manage to make a mesh network ?

Upvote 0