How did you start coding?

D

Deleted member 103

The Psion, now there's a blast from the past. I seem to recall a friend of mine having one and being really impressed.
For me, the Psion devices are the best palmtop computer all time.
While it is not turned on for 1-2 years but it is still on my desk.
20150621_191120.jpg

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Filippo your desk is a hell of a lot tidier than mine. I still have a Dell Axim X51v with dock on my desk but have to admit that it's not been powered up for quite a few years... I wonder if it still works o_O

D

Deleted member 103

@Filippo your desk is a hell of a lot tidier than mine. I still have a Dell Axim X51v with dock on my desk but have to admit that it's not been powered up for quite a few years... I wonder if it still works o_O
A Dell Axim I've had, but just a few months. It did not like and had sold it again.:)

wonder if it still works
Just try. ;)

After Psion I have then bought that, an MDA Pro.
MDA-Pro.jpg

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had the MDA (Kaiser) Tilt And Slide right until I changed to Android with my latest phone. It was what ultimately resigned the Axim to gather dust and I'm sure it's still in working order in a drawer somewhere!
I held off getting my Galaxy S3 because the MDA was so good.
I'm really wanting to upgrade to the Note Edge now but couldn't justify that much money when it first came out.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A Dell Axim I've had, but just a few months. It did not like and htoday's standard sd it again.:)

Just try. ;)

After Psion I have then bought that, an MDA Pro.
View attachment 35178
I had that one too, qtek branded, just before they become htc. A very very nice winmob phone. A bit heavy for todays standards

D

Deleted member 103

I had that one too, qtek branded, just before they become htc. A very very nice winmob phone. A bit heavy for todays standards
Yes, that's right! I've used it at that time never to make calls, but for programming with B4ppc was very good.:)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
these Qtek's were quite nice at that time.

remember these massive Nokia Communicator phones? those were real bricks but sync'ed fine with mailservers which was kind or rare back then :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The first computer i had when i was very young (5-6) was the C64 with cassete. this thread made me wanna buy a C64 (thanks wonder )

So will look for one on ebay maybe i can find one that is useable and play bruce lee on it :D

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
One of the coolest things around today is that there are still a few guys devoted to bring new software into old systems!
It's incredible to see the power and implementation of new algorithms on 30 year-old hardware. :)
Here's an example I found recently, Rom City Rampage.
Programmer's commentary. :)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So will look for one on ebay maybe i can find one that is useable and play bruce lee on it :D

there has been a Bruce Lee sequal released for the C64 a few months ago. Same atmosphere as the old one but completely different screens.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
As many others, I started on the Spectrum, moving on to the Amiga, then PC (DOS) and soon Windows.

Along the way, I've also programmed a lot of stuff not necessarily meant to be programmed, such as my old Olympus camera, game consoles, MP3 players and so on.

My drive to program comes from several factors:

* I'm an inventor by heart. There is, as far as I know, no field of invention with a lower threshold from idea to product.
* I like to improve stuff. If I look at something, my brain instantly goes "Hmm, wouldn't it be nice if it did that as well?".
* I like to be able to fix and modify my stuff. If you can't fix something, you don't truly own it.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As many others, I started on the Spectrum, moving on to the Amiga, then PC (DOS) and soon Windows.

Along the way, I've also programmed a lot of stuff not necessarily meant to be programmed, such as my old Olympus camera, game consoles, MP3 players and so on.

My drive to program comes from several factors:

* I'm an inventor by heart. There is, as far as I know, no field of invention with a lower threshold from idea to product.
* I like to improve stuff. If I look at something, my brain instantly goes "Hmm, wouldn't it be nice if it did that as well?".
* I like to be able to fix and modify my stuff. If you can't fix something, you don't truly own it.
Can you elaborate on which game consoles have you programmed? :)

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you elaborate on which game consoles have you programmed? :)

Just some minor modifications to XBMC (I use a projector, so instead of having black borders at the top and bottom when the movie is wider than the screen, I put the movie at the top and had all the black borders at the bottom, with the subtitles in the black border) and some simple scripting for it.

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
You were lucky!

When I was a lad all we had was a ZX81 with a crappy 'membrain' keyboard where you had to 'carefully' press one key, then another key (watch the screen) then another key to get a function!

Thems was the days

I followed a german magazine instruction on how to make programmable graphics for the ZX81 and I figured out how to put a chip into the ZX81 to do this without the user having to solder anything, most carefully made 3 bits of double-sided circuit board by hand, two of them had the chips on, one of them was just to attach to the chips already on the board, they each had 'legs' which you could push onto the existing chips.

My idea was to sell them.

I painstakingly stayed up all night programming a christmas scene with a tree and 'snow' that would fall because the 'space' graphic was transformed by my magical creation. I had a friend who had a radio repair shop and he'd let me use one of his tellys to show my creation to any unsuspecting passers by.

I was so knackered when I finished it that I thought I'd wait until morning to save it on to my crappy cassette recorder.

white screen :)

I did finish it and saw with relish the Christmas scene in his shop window with the snow falling and an alien spacecraft of 8x8 pixels take off and fly away.

never sold a single one :) gave one away and the kid later told me he couldn't get it to work.

Was I disheartened? NO! to this day I make crappy software that no-one will buy.

Never give up! Never surrender!