Share My Creation Kai/Zen 2D Tech Demo - Platformer Game Engine

After 10 months of B4A / LibGDX / C++ hard work, here it is, the first public alpha. :)

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.ninjadynamics.knights

Are you interested in giving this engine a test-drive?
Post / message me your email address.

Some considerations:
- No sound yet
- I coded the physics myself
- The graphical assets are nothing but placeholders
- Physical gamepad / keyboard support (arrow keys, ASDC, F, L, P, TAB)

Enjoy!

Attachments

69.4 KB · Views: 4,666
Last edited:

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

cambopad

Licensed User
Longtime User
Amazing! This is very cool game! I love it! Is there any chance that you will sell the source code? When I see this game, I just wanna get my hand dirty with its source code and explorer how such amazing game was done.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Amazing! This is very cool game! I love it! Is there any chance that you will sell the source code? When I see this game, I just wanna get my hand dirty with its source code and explorer how such amazing game was done.
Hello hello! Thank you so much for the compliment! :)
While I do really appreciate the offer, I have no plans of selling the source code at this time.

Nonetheless, I'll be very happy to answer any questions regarding the project.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
this is really cool @wonder, i think i watched your videos for maybe 20 times and i still enjoy when i watch them again and again.
what impressed me a lot is that you did the whole physic by your self.

respect! :cool:

btw i prefer tutorials (videos) then the source. please wonder think about it. make some tutorials how you do the physics and upload to youtube. i will be your first subscriber ;)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Please try the engine as well, try to break it and find bugs, that really helps me!
I really want to start doing some tutorial stuff on youtube

now installing your alpha ver. from google play.

I just need more time...

i have the problem too but i could solved it very easily. i just changed the time on my watch to -3h and now i have 3 more hours for today :p

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
game runs very smooth.

i had the problem that sometimes i can not jump over a big pipe so i need to go back and run+jump. just jump+right will not get me over the pipe (maybe increase a little bit the jump height)

another point is that everything seems to be a little bit small on my 5.1 screen.
in my opinion you need to zoom in about 1.25x

look if you can disable the painting of water when there is more then 5 cells in the x axis. like this you can avoid drawing water on the whole screen that caused by an accidently click by the user. erasing this mistake is just to much work o_O

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the feedback!! :)

Yeah, adding water is still far from perfect and I definitely need to add an undo button (maybe long-pressing the back button?)...
I'll try to create some screen-size/auto-zoom detection script in the future, as well!

What timings are you getting, btw? Can you post them?

Note: The Designer-Mode is intended for release, but the first game to be released won't include it.
Long story short, the Designer-Mode, as for now, is nothing but an internal tool for devs and testers. :)

EDIT: Another annoying thing, the tool icons are too small as well.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
EDIT: Another annoying thing, the tool icons are too small as well.

yes thats true.

i had the problem that sometimes i can not jump over a big pipe so i need to go back and run+jump. just jump+right will not get me over the pipe (maybe increase a little bit the jump height)

just noticed that i can double jump :)

What timings are you getting, btw? Can you post them?

Screenshot_2016-09-21-14-13-49.png

Note that the control buttons size is the same like the player! the controller button size is ok but the player is to small (in my opinion)

EDIT: i would also recommend you to give an alpha to the controller buttons and only when they are touched alpha = 1 (255) else alpha = 0.5 (100)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
0.69 + 1.48?? Sweeeeet!! ;)

EDIT: i would also recommend you to give an alpha to the controller buttons and only when they are touched alpha = 1 (255) else alpha = 0.5 (100)
Yes, I will do that! Plus, reduce the control scheme for 4 to 2 buttons.

New scheme:
Capture.PNG

EDIT: Maybe
PlaystationX.png
and
PlaystationO.png
, instead of
PlaystationSquare.png
and
PlaystationX.png

Last edited: