How do I - (easily register many devices to an Owners account)

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Since the first of March, I have got a grip on PHP, HTML and Javascript... (and how to use CPanel). Things I knew nothing about before.... (but now expert - I WISH!!).

I started by creating a website (on a free host) using "Brand X - there are many" as the designer. I copied my HTML pages to the host and modified what I needed to there. Seems most of these " Online Website Designers" create a "project" that they understand - to entice you onto their servers (and paid service). Most lack the in-depth support for forms and data. What they do provide is an easy way to create an HTML layout (pages) which you can further modify, by hand - once you understand how it all works... Updating data, on your site, in grid or form is MOST easy with DHTMLX - once you understand it... (JavaScript UI Library, Ajax Components & HTML5 Framework - DHTMLX). For commercial projects - it does cost... (many more times than what we are accustomed to here).

Many php files later, I have a secure back end that a new member can sign up to, activate (thru email confirmation), login and work on THEIR data. (SQL injection bad, prepared statements good...).

Now the question: (sorry - I babble)

I have a user/member (aka: company). They have registered for my service.
How do I (they) get each one of their many (new) android devices subscribed to the account so data collected is contributed to the account holder?

My thoughts (options),

1) Download/install my app - from somewhere (Play store or trusted site) - also see 3.

2) Enter the secret password (hashed and unique), provided to the account holder that will insert the new device into a joined table (backend)? Record the MAC or device ID so messages and data get back to it as well as from it.

3) Have each new device defined with a Gmail account? The device becomes the "user". [email protected], [email protected], etc. The account holder sets up these sub-accounts and emails the app and credentials (another attachment) to these users. Now each device belongs to the "group". Auto confirmation (MAC, deviceID) could be provided on first run of app.

4) Some other method you people use (or propose) to accomplish the same thing. Secure, automated and simple is the desired goal for "registering" these devices.

After setup, getting data back and forth is relativity simple - thanks to B4A and you clever folks!

Thanks

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not sure that I understand all the requirements. Option 2 seems to be simpler than option 3.

The fundamental requirement is rather simple: make sure all the devices that I own report their data to me (company_ID). How to initiate this process is the basic question.

Since the server knows nothing about the clients in the beginning, I would have to agree that "manually" entering a registration ID is the simplest solution.

Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0